Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Apathy vs. Activism

I've noticed more a few articles about the South Dakota bans on abortion. A few writers keep saying (paraphrased), "Hey! Look out! These are women's rights going down the toilet!"

But I know a whole lot of people who aren't even aware of the issue. And those that are, don't have much to say or do about it (including me).

Is it because I feel helpless? Because it's not my state? Because I would love to have a kid and abortion wouldn't apply to me? Because the media sensationalizes every problem and I'm now desensitized to it? For whatever reason, I doubt I'll say anything or do anything until it touches me. Sad, but true.

The only reason I bring this up is that Janet W. Butler really got under my skin with her letter to the editor in RWR. I know I promised not to bring her up again, but I just want to analyze the feelings of those who read it.

I think I was the most outraged, LOL. Maybe because I had never read anything that derogatory. Someone wrote me about her letter and said it was "scary."

That's exactly how I feel! What terrible discrimination could come of that sort of thinking!

But then I read another viewpoint.

How much is Too Much Information? by Jennifer Apodaca at Murder She Writes.

Good thoughts. I have to apologize. I hate that I brought that inflammatory letter to the general public. On the other hand, she was proposing a political change in an organization that I care about. Shouldn't we get worked up about that? Shouldn't we rally to protect the Romance Writers of America?

So where's the line? When do we need to protect ourselves from the negativity out there and just ignore it? And when do we need to rally to try and make society a better place?

We can't fix the whole world, unfortunately!

1 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 7/25/2006 07:17:00 PM  

Natasha, you didn't bring that inflammatory letter to the public. That Butler woman did. And kudos to you for speaking up.

There's always going to be naysayers and those who think they know what is right for everybody even though they don't know everybody. You can't fight every battle, but you can fight like hell for the battles you choose.

Hope the second biaw is going well; I've done over 5000 words since last Friday. woo hoo!

Great blog, by the way. Stop and visit mine if you like: starvingwritenow.blogspot.com

Elizabeth