Thursday, July 27, 2006

Do I want to be a writer, or not?

Yesterday, I discovered missing words from my submission: three freakin' thousand of them. So I buckled down and got it done.

Big deal, right? Well, I bring this up because I'm working twelve hour days every day this week. I promised myself that I would still write, no matter what. Monday and Tuesday I wrote a couple hundred words each day. Hey ... at least I got some words!

Wednesday, I stuffed in over 2500. AND worked twelve hours. It had to get done, so I did it.

So now we have today. I feel like taking the day off, but I had an epiphany. Yesterday is what becoming a professional is all about. You just buckle down and write, whether the inspiration, mood, or energy is there or not.

Please let me add: I don't think that everyone who wants to write should get wrapped up in the status-malarky of getting published. What's wrong with writing for the love of it? What's wrong with writing for fun, when you feel like it? Nothing!

I wish RWA would do a whole lot more to encourage readers to become amateur writers. Remember when "amateur" used to be a noble word? When it used to mean doing something for the pure love of it? The Olympics used to celebrate amateurs!

I took a artistic love of mine, and made it into a business. It ruined it for me--I practically hate it now. Completely ruined my love of it, which is why I'm dying to make my living writing. I'm just not picky if I have to change something or write something different.

I'm not sure if that means that I love it more or less than my day job. I do know that I dream of making my day job a hobby that I love again ...

So if you're a writer, and you never get published or you never want to get published, that's great! Have fun writing! Adults take piano lessons for the sheer joy and accomplishment of making music, even though they'll never make a career of it. So write a book for the sheer fun of it. And it is fun!

An amateur writer is a better and more understanding reader ... something that is better for the industry as a whole.

0 bonus scribbles: