Saturday, August 19, 2006

Be amazed, be stunned ... read Darkly Dreaming Dexter!

I'm afraid to write a recommendation for the most amazing book I have ever read in my life. NO exaggeration. It shocked me, took my breath away, stunned me, horrified me, and just amazed me from start to finish.

I don't know if I can say that it was the best book I'd ever read, but it was the most affected I had ever been by a novel.

At one point, my jaw dropped open. Hah! That phrase sounds so silly. I write it all the time. My characters jaws drop open far too much. I realized that yesterday, when my own jaw dropped. I realized then that I could not remember a single other time that my jaw has dropped open in shock.

But that's what this book does to you. Please, please, please go and read Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

I don't dare say more. I'm afraid I'll turn you off by a simplistic review. I can only promise two things: first, you won't be able to put the book down, whether you love or hate mysteries; and second, you will be affected by this book. It will make you stunned, shocked, sad, and laugh in ways that will horrify you.

It's an experience, and a fine--very fine--example of craft.

1 bonus scribbles:

Susan Helene Gottfried 4/12/2007 05:08:00 PM  

I'm starting to think we are the same person, just in different bodies. I have this on Mt. TBR.

Am I going to encounter any OTHER books we have in common???