Monday, September 11, 2006

Crushin' on Ranger

I am SO crushing on Ranger right now. I started Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I almost put the series down forever in Hot Six, when Stephanie chose Morelli over Ranger.

Okay, I see her point. Of the two, Morelli is more stable and closer to the marrying kind.

But this is fiction, and the wonderful thing about fiction is that we get to live with adventure and great sex. (Boy, have I fallen from my fancy-shmancy literary days.) Why the hell is danger so erotic? Will someone please tell me? Ranger is definitely the dangerous type, with a protective streak (but not too protective) where Stephanie is concerned.

Major drool factor of ten. Ten plus.

So I was relieved in Seven Up when they kinda broke off their kinda engagement. And I just got to the part in Hard Eight where Ranger tells her he's collecting his fee for helping her. The fee, of course, is sex.

Good golly Miss Molly, I'm fanning myself right along with Connie and Lula!

So I read that way-too-short scene (instead of relieving the frustration I've been feeling through eight books, it's only fanned the flames! Argh!!!!), and I got a big happy grin on my face.

DH looks over and asks, "What?"

I'm still grinning. "Ranger." I'd told him yesterday that I had a crush on Ranger. He'd been pretty understanding about it, considering it was a fictional character. I would have been jealous if it been him, but he's not.

"Jesus," he said.

I hear Twelve Sharp has a whole lot of Ranger in it. I'm becoming obsessed, to the point of skimming along until I get to see Ranger again. I'm getting half my writing done because I keep reading for more Ranger. And when I do write, my male heroes keep acting like Ranger. I'm dreaming about Ranger!

*Warning: Whine Ahead*

I usually don't do much deleting of words. They cost three cents each, so I try to write clean. Plus, I feel guilty when I delete words, like I'm throwing away money.

I particularly shouldn't be writing sloppy when the bills for my foot keep racking up. Two doctors and one set up xrays are already up to $750ish. AND MY FOOT IS GETTING WORSE! What the hell? I don't know what's wrong with it and I'm out Now one doctor said I need an MRI and another said I need another X-ray, which would put me up to another $800, not counting seeing the doctor (hopefully not more than $125?). And then I probably have to pay again to hear the results of the X-ray and MRI. And then I need treatment. This is going to cost me over $2000 ... that's two more novellas before I can get caught up, and another one to pay for some other things. 120,000 words and then I can write my spy story.

At least, the spy novel characters have been brewing in my head. I know all my characters pretty well. A plot that works might be nice. I need to read more thrillers--but whose got time? It's not a form I've written before, and I need to know the form so well that I feel it, in order to write it. If I try to work from form or impose form, the thing gets clunky.

Do you ever feel like you've read enough books? I squeeze in about two a week. Maybe three, sometimes four. Once DH's business gets off the ground and I can write full time, then I'll read a book a day. Wouldn't that be wonderful??

3 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 9/11/2006 09:27:00 PM  

I SO agree with you; Ranger is way hot. Did you get to the part in Hard 8 where she's getting chased down the street? I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants.

spy scribbler 9/11/2006 11:18:00 PM  

That part was hilarious!

I just got to the end where Ranger ... uh, where Abrazzi committed suicide.

Ohmigod, be still my heart! Can I tell you? My crush has turned into head-over-heels LOVE!

Susan Helene Gottfried 4/11/2007 08:30:00 PM  

He he. Ranger's always worth a comment!

Have you gotten to twelve yet? Definitely the best book in the group.

Every now and then, I'll catch Mitchell saying, "Babe." I SO hear you!