Friday, September 15, 2006

He KILLED a dog!!!!!!!

Dear God, J.A. Konrath's Harry McGlade killed a DOG in Whelp Wanted from Four Pack of Jack!!

How could he even think it???? Not just killed it by accident, not killed it because it was sick. Nope, killed it because he didn't want it. It bit his couch, I believe, or some such minor thing.

I do have to admit: Konrath's an awesome short story writer. I loved Four Pack of Jack.

Tess Gerritsen just posted about how little things authors do that can inadvertantly turn off a reader for life, called "When Writers Get In Trouble With Readers."

I don't expect much of authors as human beings. I figure they've got their own private lives and whatever their politics or morals are, it's not going to affect my reading loyalty. I just care about the story. If I get to know them as a friend, that's different. But as a reader, I would be interested in an author's stories, but never turned off to her/his fiction because of their beliefs.

But ... Harry killed a dog.

I guess ... I suppose ... in this case, and in only this case, I can forgive it. Only because J.A. Konrath impressed me with some great stories. And if I forgave him for creating a hero that killed a dog because he was a minor inconvenience, he must be one hell of a writer.

But ... still. I'm gonna be pissed about it for awhile. ;-)

5 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 9/17/2006 11:01:00 AM  

I think I'd be pretty put off with the whole dog killing thing. I mean, is it within the character's definition? Is that the kind of person he is? If so, how could I generate sympathy for him? Seriously, bad guys kill dogs. Not heroes.

spy scribbler 9/17/2006 11:46:00 AM  

The hero is a PI in a short story. He's one of those not-too-likable heroes that wins you over ... except for the last two lines when he takes the dog to be "gassed" because he bit a couch.

He could have at least dropped him off at an animal shelter. But killed him??? Sheesh!

Edie 9/17/2006 05:37:00 PM  

I keep hearing about JA Konrath. I'll have to read him--but not this story. If someone kills a dog in a story, it has to be the bad guy, or else for a good reason.

JA Konrath 9/20/2006 12:39:00 PM  

Nothing is so serious that you can't joke about it.

Besides, Harry didn't actually kill the dog. When he got to the shelter, the dog wound up bonding with a nice family where he was taken home and lived a long and productive life.

Unfortunately, right after the adoption, the animal shelter burned down and 356 animals died horribly.

spy scribbler 9/20/2006 01:58:00 PM  

Okay, okay. I'm laughing.

See? Now read that post again. Makes me feel like hanging up my hat as a writer. I have trouble with one twist, let alone twist after twist after twist.

I'm really going to enjoy your book, I can tell!