Friday, September 15, 2006

The Prologue Controversy, featuring AWESOME writer, J.A. Konrath

I was reading the Killer Year Class of 2007's blog about Prologues, the other day.

The prologue controversy alternately cracks me up and drives me crazy. Personally, I just don't understand why someone would skip a prologue. I don't understand why someone would even notice that they're reading a prologue. I mean, who cares if it says "Prologue" or "Chapter One" when you start a book? They're both non-descript, boring labels. I don't even look. I assume an author wants me to read on page one, and I start there. If he doesn't grab me on page one, then I don't buy the book. (Except for John le Carre. He tends to hook me by about Chapter 7.)

BUT, today I was taking a break from writing and I was thumbing through the shelves. I read the most kick-ass prologue that I've ever read in J.A. Konrath's Rusty Nail.

Oh wow, if you go to his website, you can read SEVEN full chapters of Rusty Nail!

I promptly picked up Whiskey Sour and Bloody Mary. Guess what? They have kick-ass prologues, too.

He has some free short stories posted on his bulky website. (I just love short stories!) I'm just taking a quick break from writing and I've got to get back to it, but I'll let you know how they are! On Amazon shorts, he also has a Four Pack of Jack that I'm going to slip into my shopping cart when I order Janet Evanovich's How I Write. Has anyone read it? How is it?

I don't have the money to buy J.A. Konrath's books yet, so I'll have to wait a month or two to tell you how they pan out after the prologues. (Damn!) But I do get to buy a really cool Vera Atkins biography called A Life in Secrets.

Oh man! I just discovered that J.A. Konrath has an anthology coming out at the end of October called These Guns for Hire. It's a collection of short stories (be still, my heart!) about hitman. I can't wait to read it!

There's a website for the collection here. M.J. Rose is writing for a story for it, too!

0 bonus scribbles: