Monday, October 16, 2006

Acknowledgements

Hey, out there! I have a question for everyone who pops by. Do you read the acknowledgments in a book?

Ever since I started scanning for agents' names to pop up years ago, I've been addicted to acknowledgments. I don't know what it is. I read every single list, every single name. Some authors just write it dutifully, while others use their acknowledgments to let their voice and style shine through.

I LOVE the acknowledgments. It's fascinating to me, all the people who some authors thank. Barry Eisler puts in three or four page acknowledgments, and I read every single word. Laurell K. Hamilton thanks her critique group in every book, and I'm pretty sure it was Beth Orsoff who had an acknowledgments page that made me laugh. One thing, I notice, that chick lit writers do really well, is their acknowledgments.

It's getting to the point where, when I find an author without acknowledgments page, I have to push away the thought: what, do they think they got here all by their lonesome? And I do push the thought away, because tons of writers don't use acknowledgment pages.

But when I see a great acknowledgment section, I'm really impressed. It's another one of those stupid, harmless prejudices that I have. I think that if an author takes the time to write acknowledgments, then she/he must be a pretty fine person.

4 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 10/17/2006 06:37:00 AM  

Yes, I read the acknowledgements. They're like a little author "slice of life" or something. However if they're really, really long, I'll usually only scan it because I'm in a hurry to get to the book!

Bernita 10/17/2006 08:56:00 AM  

I read them now, didn't used to. As Starving says, too much of a hurry to get into the story. The author didn't matter, the story did.

Dru 10/17/2006 06:38:00 PM  

I actually found a high school friend while reading an acknowledgement. So now I read them faithfully, because you never know who you'll come across.

Cara North 10/18/2006 02:47:00 PM  

I wasn't sure I could put one in. I asked my publisher and they were like-absolutely. For new authors I think sometimes we are just so excited to get the book out there, we forget to ask about a little piece of paper in front to thank those around us.
Now I know to ask for that and I plan to use it.