Monday, October 30, 2006

Anonymity & Growing as a Writer

I consider this blog half-anonymous. I don't really care, at this point, who knows me, but I do try not to let my clients know that I write, just for business purposes. Gotta keep up the illusion that I do nothing but my job, I'm that dedicated. Well, heck, I do day-job a TON, a job that never stops. What can you d?

Anyway, I was reading an interview with Meg Tilly over at Beatrice's blog. I was so impressed with how very brave she was, to publish such emotional memories of a private pain.

"They" say that every author needs to write that one sorta autobiographical book. I wrote mine under the shelter of anonymity, and I know I wouldn't have had the guts to share that publicly.

Anonymity does have big drawbacks. Just today, I finished a story that was formulaic and ... well, there was just nothing different about it. It's easier to put out less than your best when you're anonymous. I really have to work on creativity.

How do you guys do it?

It's so hard! I don't do writer's groups. Partly because I prefer to write erotica under a pseudonym, partly because I have a problem. I have this insane belief if someone thought of an idea, then it's not original enough. I know it's stupid, because there are so many people in this world that are smarter and more creative than I am. But there you have it.

Ah well. I watched an inspiring biography of Stephen King last night. I love that he desperately wrote fast for rent money and food money. That's me! He wrote brilliantly, though. Me, on the other hand ... sometimes I feel like I'm spinning out formulaic crap.

Do you guys ever feel like that?

Oh, and what do you consider prolific? How many words a day/week/month/year? Just curious!

And how do you push yourself to the next level of writing? How do you make yourself better?

2 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 10/31/2006 06:49:00 AM  

I'm sure everybody feels like they're writing the "same old, same old." When you boil it down to the basics, we all start with the same foundation. Then when we type "The End" and look around ourselves, we realize that our house has different shingles, windows, paint, etc... than the other ones. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Bernita 10/31/2006 08:01:00 AM  

Agree with Starving.
No value in wasting time comparing one's self to others either.