Friday, October 13, 2006

Growing Up and Playing the Game ... Or Not

Today I made a tough decision, but once I made it, I felt SO good.

See, all the people I know that are over the age of 35ish have been saying that sometime in their thirties, they stopped caring what other people think. Since I just had a birthday, I decided it was time to take the bull by the horns and stop caring what people think.

I also decided to learn, once and for all, the art of saying no.

Next month is our local RWA conference, and I've been dying to go. One, they need participants to keep it going. Two, it's fun to be surrounded with like-minded people. And three, I just wanted to go!

But during the same weekend, I was a little bit obligated to go to another state conference. See, I've just been elected to the state board in my music organization. That's great, and I'm very excited about my job. It fits exactly with what I love to do, and I hope that I can add something good to the organization. There's a big board meeting on Thursday, but then the only thing "official" I need to do after that, is smile, nod, and be introduced at a luncheon.

I'm a big believer in the fact that, if you belong to an organization, you should volunteer some time. Even if it's an hour a year. I'm happy to do it, and I truly feel that it's my duty. But I don't have any political aspirations within my organizations. And I certainly don't feel that I should pay $250 to smile, nod, and be introduced.

I WILL go to the board meeting. Yes, I will do my job. No, I will not pay $250 to smile and nod and be introduced.

And you know what? I don't care what people think!

So now I'm really excited that I get to go to the Romance Writer's Conference in November. Yay! I get to pay a whole lot less, and enjoy a good conference.

3 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 10/13/2006 04:13:00 PM  

Well, hooray! Looking forward to seeing you there.

Yes, there is something about your thirties. I've never really cared what anyone thinks of me, so it's not like I had to give up much, but my thirties have been very liberating. I gained a measure of anonymity that spawned a delightful sense of freedom.

So now that you've learned to say NO, have fun practicing all the ways to say it! Because before you know it you'll hit 40 and the next challenge will come: learning to say "Do it your DAMN self!"

I'm practicing that one already.

Bernita 10/13/2006 05:16:00 PM  

Good for you!...bloody leaches...

spy scribbler 10/13/2006 11:38:00 PM  

LOL! Gosh, it sounds silly, but it was so liberating. I've been happy all day!