Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!

Uh-oh. I'm going to talk about religion in this post. Please feel free to skip.

I don't share my faith much. I don't expect anyone else to believe what I believe, and I have no desire to convert anyone, and I really could care less if anyone else believes what I believe. I believe that the power of religion is in the actual faith, not in what you believe. I'm also a huge believer in the truth that everyone must find their own (and usually different) path, and that path lies within us. My only hope is that people find their own spiritual path that makes them happy, and that they not harm others in the name of that path.

I'm Wiccan/pagan (and as such, I can still embrace my Catholic roots, although they probably wouldn't embrace me!), so tonight is a special day: Halloween! Why? Because it's my New Year's Eve! From the Witch's Voice:

Samhain is the most important of the fire festivals, because it marks the Celtic New Year (a week later the Celt's Indo-European cousins in India celebrate Divali, which is their New Year's festival). Samhain was the original festival that became "All Saints' Day" in the Christian calendar. Since the Celts, like many cultures, started every day at sunset of the night before, this became the "evening" of "All Hallows" ("hallowed" = "holy" = "saint") which was eventually contracted into "Hallow-e'en" or the modern "Halloween."

We all know it has nothing to do with the devil, right? If you think I worship the devil, please just leave without commenting. And educating yourself might be a good idea, too.

Anyway, tonight's a night to celebrate our loved ones that have passed on, to reflect on the past year, to banish our weaknesses, and make goals for the New Year.

Even if you don't believe as I do, that's okay! It's fun night, with children exercising their imaginations and the air going crisp with the fall air. Gosh, I just love fall. It's my favorite season of the year! I hope you all had a wonderful Halloween!

I'm sad because I'm sitting in front of a computer. I usually go to this special place on a rock by a river, secluded and special. I can meditate there and connect with nature's energy.

Unfortunately, DH and I have a disagreement on the safety issue. My night time walks have been banished, because things aren't as safe around here as they used to be. And yes, I could tell DH "tough," but the fact is, he only grew concerned after I grew nervous and concerned. So even if I go out, I don't feel safe. How sad is that?

The most special thing I've read today about loved ones that have passed on is at Murder She Writes, where Natalie shared a heartwarming story. Check it out!

I read the most beautiful Samhain ritual the other day, here.

I want to quote just a teensy bit, because it's written so well, by Akasha (Actually, she wrote that it was adapted by her ... so I'm unclear as to whether or not she wrote this part or adapted it from an unknown source. Anyway, it's speaks to my heart, perfectly!):

"Hear me now as the past year slowly dies, only to be reborn again. Today, the last of the Harvests is complete. This symbolic harvest is of my thought-seeds, Planted and nurtured throughout this past year. May the good come to pass and the bad be cast aside. With Your divine guidance and protection, I step into the New Year, May I have good health, prosperity, and happiness."

"As the New Year is born, we are all reborn With new hopes and dreams. Guide me in the future as in the past. Give me strength and courage, Knowledge and fulfillment, Assist me as I attempt to achieve my goals."

"Every beginning has an ending, And every ending is a new beginning. In Life is Death, and in Death is Life. Watch over me, my loved ones, and all of my Brothers and Sisters, here and departed, Who, tonight are joined together again for Fellowship and celebration. Bless us all as we light our bonfires, our hearth fires, And the eternal fires in our hearts. Guide us and protect us, Tonight and throughout the coming year. Blessed Be! Blessed Be!"

1 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 11/01/2006 08:39:00 AM  

You go, girl!

Yes, people with sense in their heads know that Halloween isn't about the devil. What is interesting to me is how cultures the world over celebrate their days of the dead, but it seems like Halloween is the only one getting a bum rap.

PS: I liked your review about Her Sexiest Mistake. I liked the idea and the story overall, but for the majority of the book I didn't like Mia, so that put a damper on the read.