Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Reading to Write

Sorry, my blogging has been a little wimpy lately. I just pushed out a 38,000 word novella in 16 days. I'm beat!

So I rewarded myself by buying Her Sexiest Mistake, by Jill Shalvis. She's a writer I discovered by her blog, which is a fun read. It makes me smile every day. I took one look at the picture of the cover, and I just KNEW I'd love the book.

In other news, I joined Nanowrimo, username spyscribbler. Drop me a line if you're joining the fun, so I can add you as a buddy! I was skeptical at first, but it looks SO cool. I wish they did it every month! I just looks fun, because you can record your progress in this cool little book thing.

I wanted to do my spy story for Nanowrimo, but I've got to write a novella to help fund our Christmas budget. I'm also working on an essay for an anthology (I'm SO excited about it!), so it's going to be a busy month! I am looking forward to December as my spy story month!

In preparation, I've decided to really analyze all the books I read, since I've been really analyzing my own writing lately. I want my writing to be in as tip-top shape as possible for December, when I write my spy novel. I know that I need to work on LESS dialogue and more observing, description, and introspection. Good news: I think I'm doing okay with conflict and dialogue.

So I have a question. When you're reading in the hopes of learning something about the craft, what sort of things do you read for? What do you analyze? Or do you just read for fun?

4 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 10/19/2006 07:01:00 AM  

I have tended to re-read those authors that I really like, and try to figure out what it is that works for me when I read them. Does that make sense?

Bernita 10/19/2006 08:18:00 AM  

Am trying to read critically.
Need to concentrate on structural stuff, not the line edit stuff.

Jill 10/19/2006 11:55:00 AM  

Thanks so much for buying Her Sexiest Mistake! Hope you enjoye it!

Amie Stuart 10/22/2006 02:32:00 PM  

I read for enjoyment. Not that I don't learn from reading but it's not near as much fun to read when I'm examining the writer's technique. Typically if I do find myself observing technique etc then I lose interest and never finish the book