Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Friendly Writers

This weekend is my FIRST writing conference. Boy, I can't tell you how excited I am. I feel like a little kid or something. I've only been able to go to one RWA meeting, because of work. I did go to a little retreat, which was fun!

But this is a conference. And already I'm meeting all these new people, am going to gain a hundred pounds eating, and bloat up from martinis. I'm tickled pink!

I'm not just excited to talk to other writers, I'm also excited to be among and talk with adults. Sure, I talk to my student's parents, but it's only for a few moments, and I always feel pressured to paste on an enthusiastic and upbeat persona when I'm trying to mentally re-group and relax before so I can be fresh for the next student. Sure, I can be very enthusiastic for real (I'm a little bit like a kid that way), but I usually don't feel enthusiastic about small talk. I can never seem to drop the act and feel comfortable being myself with parents.

Besides, teaching is about listening and saying what needs to be heard. When I'm talking to a parent with a student in the room, I'm often forced to fib, because the student needs to hear one thing, and the parent asked a question whose honest answer doesn't match what the student needs to hear, particularly in front of the next student.

When I'm among writing friends, or friends, I can be myself. They're not paying me, LOL, so I can just be normal. It's SO relaxing.

I hear writers sometimes say that the persona is exhausting. I'm going to try to make sure that this is one area of my life where I let it all hang out, quirks and all. It's more fun to be oneself.

0 bonus scribbles: