Thursday, November 09, 2006

A wtf, pardon me ...

Wtf? WTF?!!!

So I have a student, whose parents own a million dollar home. They live in the richest community in Ohio, and they live on the richest street in Ohio.

Wtf? WTF?!!!

The father makes more, in fifteen minutes, than I charge his son for TWO MONTHS of lessons.

And they're two months behind in paying me. They keep dropping off the son. We keep sending late notices, invoices, etc. Today I meet the mother at the door, hand her the invoice, and tell her that I haven't received a check and we're getting a bit behind. She takes the invoice, gives it a dismissive wave with her hand, and launches into a bunch of excuses about why her son hasn't done his assignment this week (for the sixth month in a row, btw). Before I know it, she's gone, he's still here, and I have no check.

GEEEEEEEEZZZUUUUUZZZZZ HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH KRINGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See, what I don't understand, is they have the money. Plenty of it.

And, what I don't understand, is that I would EMBARRASSED as all hell. I'd be tripping over myself, red-faced and apologizing. I'd feel horrible about it for DAYS. Months after, I'd be WAY early with my payment. And I damn well would hand over a check that instant, or I'd tell her that I'd back in the seven minutes it takes me to go home, get my checkbook, and bring her back a check. Better yet, I'd stop at the ATM and get cash.

So what do I do? I sit here with this kid, and I'm furious. Absolutely furious. I feel so disrespected and taken advantage of. But it's not the kids' fault.

And so because I'm supposed to be a self-sacrificing teacher who loves the kids more than I care about getting paid, I'm supposed to just sit here and take it? Just let myself be walked over?

I don't understand!!!!!

2 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 11/09/2006 11:13:00 PM  

As Scarlett O'Hara once said, "It's so easy to be mean to really nice people!" And it's true, so very unfortunately true.

So I say this: Kick their sorry fucking asses to the curb. "Sorry, lady, I don't teach for free. Pay up, right now, in cash or sonny boy don't set one damned foot in my door."

You'll probably lose a client. But, on the other hand, you won't have to put up with that BS any more. And it feels really good.

See you soon!

spyscribbler 11/09/2006 11:25:00 PM  

Well, hmmm ... I don't make money, and teach the kid. I lose the kid, and I don't make money.

Not much difference. Except I don't waste an afternoon feeling insulted. I don't waste an afternoon getting angry. I don't rant at my blog readers.

Ah, but I do like that kid. But, no, I don't know. No more until I'm paid, though!

I know respect is a bad word, here in America. But isn't that disrespectful?

Ohmigod, I was about to say, "Don't I deserve some respect?" but then I realized that's my mother's voice talking.

Dear goodness.