Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Resolutions!

I love New Year's Resolutions! So of course I'm going to bore you with mine. First, though, I hear a lot of people saying that they don't set them, because they end up getting depressed.

I've been leafing through This Year I Will ... at Borders, and I stumbled across this wonderful bit, which I'll paraphrase:

When we make goals for the New Year, we tend to forget about them (of course, they're not habits yet) and then we look back and say, "Darnit, me! I failed!"

But it's not like that. Evidently, there are three steps in making a new habit stick.

The first step is noticing that you forgot to do the new habit. This step is where we often get down on ourselves and give up. We think that because we didn't even remember the new habit, we surely can't manage to succeed at the new habit. The good news is that this step is crucial to the process, and is actually one step forward. It's progress! It's the first step on the road to making a new habit. We should actually congratulate ourselves when we realize that we forgot a habit! The realization itself is progress!

The second step is remembering the new habit, right before we end up choosing the old habit anyway. Even though we're still not doing the new habit, we at least are thinking of it before we choose the wrong habit. That's better than afterwards, isn't it? Again, we shouldn't get discouraged. It's one more step towards success!

The third step, of course, is when we remember the new habit before we choose the old habit, and then we stop ourselves in time, and choose the new habit. Success!

Another great tip from the book was that there never is a great time to start, except today. There will always be something in the way of our resolution. Sure, New Year's feels like a great time to start, and it's fun, but we should make every day the day we start.

Even after we fall off the wagon.

So I'm temporarily declaring every Monday New Year's Day, until I make all my New Year's resolutions a habit.

That's the other thing I learned from This Year I Will ...: You can't tackle a whole big long list of changes at once. It's too much! So even though I'm posting too many resolutions at once, there are probably some that I may not start to attempt until June.

My New Year's Resolution is to have 1 more number than I had the week before, on my Resolution List. How's that sound? So here's the list:

  • 1.) Practice Yoga 6 times a week: 1 time last week! 1 time more than the week before!
  • 2.) Lift Weights 3 times a week: 0
  • 3.) Practice Forms 5 times a week: 0
  • 4.) Remove dairy, wheat, sugar, and meat from diet: No wheat! 1 item down!
  • 5.) Have sit-down dinners with DH: 2 times! May I say how special these were?
  • 6.) Write 10,500 words a week (4 novels next year): 6,000 - 7,000 words.
  • 7.) Read at least 52 books next year: 1.6 last week.
  • 8.) FlyLady the house: Started shining the bathroom sink this week.
  • 9.) My mantra for the year: Everything gets done in baby steps. Just one more teensy-tiny step!

Disclaimer: The Resolution list may be added to, altered, adjusted, or deleted at any time. ;)

2 bonus scribbles:

Jeff 1/01/2007 10:16:00 AM  

Wishing you and your family a safe and Happy New Year!

Edie 1/02/2007 08:53:00 PM  

Good luck on your goals, Spy!

I'm strength training 3 times a week this year. I used to do it, so know I can again. Like you, I'm eating healthier. My writing goal is 3 books a year.