Tuesday, December 19, 2006

ROFL ... one way NOT to start a novel ...

Hah! Who said that? Edison? That he hadn't failed, but that he'd found a hundred ways NOT to make electricity? Something like that ...

Well, I was just going through my idea file, trying to get the sparks flying between the two hemispheres of my brain, and I discovered a story idea that contained only an opening sentence. I remember writing it, and having one of those gushy-inspired moments. You know, the kind that feel like you're all artistic? They show up at night, and you usually have to throw away most of it in the daylight. Anyway, can you make sense of this? I can't!

One knew the other, but the other knew nothing of the one. In fact, no one knew nothing of the one--except, that is, for the one.

WTF???? Yes, I clearly remember thinking that I had stumbled upon a brilliant idea for a spy novel.

Oh. My. God.

DELETE!!!

4 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 12/20/2006 07:05:00 AM  

Well... ummm...

Oh, f*** it. Just delete it.

And Merry Christmas, my dear! See you in January!

Edie 12/20/2006 09:16:00 AM  

LOLOL. Spy, you have 99 more first lines to try. *g* I thank God for my delete key often. :)

Anonymous,  12/20/2006 09:32:00 AM  

Obviously 'the one' was a personality hiding in a multiple personality body.

Now where do you go from there?

spyscribbler 12/21/2006 12:49:00 AM  

LOL, anonymous. I stuffed it in the trash. I remember what happened, now ... I think I'd been inspired by the beginning of a novel and author I can't recall at the moment.

One that opened with him regretting the past. Something that ended with something (that worked, unlike my excerpt) like "but he did, and he didn't, so he did." That quote doesn't do it justice, but if I find it tomorrow, I'll post it!