Friday, December 29, 2006

Whew, boy! Happy Holidays!

Today we had holiday dinner. We had the flu over Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, and the turkey won't last as long as New Year's, so we had our holiday day today. Whew. Turkey, green beans and corn, mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, cranberry chutney, candied sweet potatoes and rolls. Oh! And homemade pumpkin pie. (I fry the pumpkin in butter before mixing it and baking it ... makes all the difference in the world!)

DH set up a table, and ... get this ... we got to eat dinner at six o'clock! A real, sit-down dinner at six o'clock! Home-cooked and everything!

This is strange to us, because I usually work until ten. We could have a sit-down lunch, but ... it just doesn't work. I realized that it's been a full YEAR since we sat down together and ate dinner. Isn't that sad?

Anyway, two days of cooking, and I'm stuffed within the first twenty minutes. I managed to eat a whole plate, but wow! I don't think I've been this stuffed in ages!

Well, happy holidays, all! There's tons to do between now and when day job starts up again, which is a good thing. I'm not good at the leisurely life thing.

4 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 12/30/2006 10:59:00 AM  

Holy S***, you actually cook a pumpkin to make the pie? I'm IMPRESSED.

Jeff 12/30/2006 07:43:00 PM  

It's always nice to have a family meal together, especially during the holidays.

Happy New Year!

spyscribbler 12/30/2006 11:39:00 PM  

Starvingwritenow, I didn't cook a real pumpkin! I fried the pumpkin puree, before adding the milk and sugar and spices. I do want to try that someday, though! I bet it'd taste good!

Jeff, you're so right. In fact, one of my NY's resolutions is meal planning and making sure we sit down together every night. How could I have missed how special that is? I hope I don't forget it.

BeccaDee,  10/07/2011 12:03:00 PM  

Would you be willing to post a recipe for your pie filling? It sounds AMAZING.