Sunday, December 17, 2006

You!! Me!!! We're 2006 Person of the Year!!!!

Wow, get a load of that. We're Time's 2006 Person of the Year. Back when I was an idealist (insert big, shit-eating grin here, because I'm an idealist through and through, no matter how frustrated or helpless I may feel at any given point), I used to read a ton of science fiction. This article has more idea seeds than any I've read in a long time.

Oh! Why, you say, did we get picked?

We also worked. Like crazy. We made Facebook profiles and Second Life avatars and reviewed books at Amazon and recorded podcasts. We blogged about our candidates losing and wrote songs about getting dumped. We camcordered bombing runs and built open-source software.

And then, the article goes on to give us some real gems. I wonder what the web will do to our world, over the years? We connect so much online, across countries and land and cities. When will physical location become a moot point? Will countries fight for 'web land'? What if the internet becomes our primary land, and then it crashes?

It's hard to believe that a whole big percentage of the country is still not online. We have a long way to go before the above scenarios could even possibly go. What really perked my interest, though, was this:

2006 gave us some ideas. This is an opportunity to build a new kind of international understanding, not politician to politician, great man to great man, but citizen to citizen, person to person. It's a chance for people to look at a computer screen and really, genuinely wonder who's out there looking back at them. Go on. Tell us you're not just a little bit curious.

What I wonder, is how long it will take, to make our world a better place--politically--by means of the internet. What I fear, is how long it will take, to make our world a worse place, by means of the internet.

The world has changed drastically in the last hundred years. Even in the last ten or twenty years, our life has been altered, little by little, by the internet. I barely noticed things changing, but when I look back ...

Somedays, the biggest reason I want to live to see another day is because I want to see what happens next. Today, I wish I could skim forward a few chapters, and see where this "Web 2.0" is going to take us. Does Utopia have at least as much chance as me winning the lottery on Tuesday?

1 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 12/18/2006 06:37:00 AM  

Gosh, I feel so important now. I'll have to watch my head in doorways! :)