Monday, January 01, 2007

Wait! Wait! I forgot some ...

I forgot the MOST IMPORTANT ONES: the mental ones. Can you believe that? I sure can, LOL. After reading around, I found some New Year's Resolutions that are SO much better than mine, that I have to add them to my list.

First Diana Peterfreund listed her Seven New Year's Resolutions, and I just loved her Number 7: "Live Bigger." She didn't go into detail about what it meant to her, but it reminded me of what was wrong with me this past year.

I spent a lot of time, hand on window, staring out with a feeling of desperation. I felt--still feel--locked in a cage. In an interview, Angelina mentioned that she had recently removed a tattoo of a window from her back. The reason for the tattoo? At the time, she said, she'd always be looking out windows, wanting to get out on the other side.

I SO identify with that.

She said she had it removed because now she lives "outside the window."

Whew boy. That resonates with me SO much I can't even begin to tell you. No, I'm not going to get a tattoo of a window on my back, but I am going to make this year's number one goal to Live outside the window.

Jennifer Crusie talked about her Indulgences for 2007. What a great idea, if you're not into resolutions. And Catherine Spangler at Berkley Babes blogged the Fourteen Best Resolutions I've seen so far. The ones I find most inspiring are:

1) Be happy.

2) Be joyous.

3) Be patient.

4) Be kind.

5) Take care of myself.

You see? I forgot the most important ones. True, a lot of mine will cause the above, but I lost sight of WHY I have these goals. So my top five list of the year are:

1) Live outside the window:

See above, LOL. I don't know how, but ... I'll find a way.

2) Give everything:

I want to give everything, 200% to everything I do, particularly writing. Adults are the most self-obstacled learners around. Sometimes we hold back here or there, just a little. Why? Sometimes I think it's because we're afraid that if we give our all and fail, then we're not good enough. That strategy, while usually subconscious, holds us back. I want to give my all, no matter what my fears are.

3) Ask more:

And then I want to push myself to give more. Often we impose so many self-limitations on ourselves. So many I can'ts that, frankly, are incorrect. Whenever I give my best, I want to push myself to give just a little more than I thought I could.

4) Dig deeper:

This is mostly a writing goal. When I'm reading, I want to stretch my mind to dig deeper into analysis. When I'm writing, I want to dig deeper and deeper into every character, ask the tough questions, put them in tough situations, and stretch myself.

5) Live real:

This may seem strange, since I blog anonymously. I'm not really that anonymous, though, as tons of people know who I am. I don't mind; I just want to stay anonymous enough to avoid the search engines, so that I can be honest and real online.

What I really want to do is, er ... stop being so nice. I don't want to always say the right thing, and do the nod and smile thing. I just want to be real. If I'm mad, I'll be mad. If I'm sad, I'll be sad. If I fart, well goshdarnit, I'm not going to be embarrassed about it. I just want to stop worrying what other people think, and worry more about the important things.

Tomorrow, I promise no more goals. :-) All about you, tomorrow! All about you!

6 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 1/02/2007 08:32:00 AM  

Fart away! Just give us some warning first... (lol)

JLB 1/02/2007 03:37:00 PM  

Great goals Spy, all of them! It is so important to find that balance between being true to ourselves, and supporting those we care about.

May your new year be filled with discovery, challenge, and happiness as you embrace your goals!

Cheers,
Jade

Edie 1/02/2007 08:54:00 PM  

Spy, I love these goals. You go!

spyscribbler 1/02/2007 09:24:00 PM  

I promise fair warning, starvingwritenow! LOLOL, you crack me up!

Thanks Edie and Jade! Balance is tricky, isn't it? I thought I was supposed to be good at it, being a Libra and all. Nope.

Best of luck to you gals!

Elizabeth Krecker 1/02/2007 09:26:00 PM  

Live outside the window...I love this goal! Since I hadn't come up with any yet, I'll start here!

spyscribbler 1/02/2007 10:55:00 PM  

I do, too! Thanks for popping by, Elizabeth. Your teenaged son is my new hero. Wow! You must be one heck of a parent!