Monday, January 29, 2007

I'm just a girl ... a girl in love. :-)

Today was the BEST day. Okay, I woke up with a sore throat, was unbearably cold and headache-y in Borders while writing, but it was STILL the best day.

When I started my day job (another self-employed business thing), I worked into it gradually. No business plan, not even a business card. After I had a handful of clients, I decided I ought to figure this business stuff out. I went to Borders, bought nearly everything they had on running a business, marketing, and self-employment.

But I never saved my first dollar. I never took pride in the beginning of something I'd looked forward to. I never noticed my very first step.

When I started writing, it was a lark. An erotic fiction site I regularly visited (*blush*) offered a story contest, and an idea occurred to me. I thought, what a fun idea! I finished my first story since high school, and won honorable mention. Then I expanded it into a novella, and I got a little check. I don't remember it. The idea of making writing a career didn't occur to me until well after my fourth or fifth novella. Then I started dreaming about it.

So again, I missed my first step. I have nothing saved from those early beginnings.

But today, something really cool happened. As you guys know, I'm totally psyched about starting a *real* career. I know I'm kinda doing it, but it's not under my "real name."

Okay, maybe you ought to stop reading, 'cause I'm going to tell you just how uncool and silly I am.

So remember that essay I wrote? I know it's not a big deal, but it's the first thing under my *real name.* Today I got the check! I couldn't stop grinning. DH had to unclasp my fingers and pry the thing from my hands so he could go deposit the money.

You wanna know why I'm so in love with him?

He came back with a box of chocolates AND--get this--the letter and check copied together and FRAMED.

Isn't he the best, most awesome guy, ever? I feel like the luckiest girl alive. No matter how little or far I get in this business, I don't want to ever forget how lucky I am.

Anything you wish you had noticed? Wish you had saved? Any moments that you want to save forever?

13 bonus scribbles:

Christina Rundle 1/29/2007 08:05:00 PM  

Wow! That's so amazing! I got chills. He is a very good man to have surprised you like that. I'd be excited too. Are you going to hang it in your office or bedroom or den?

Congratulations!

Hmm, at the moment I don't know what I feel like I've missed, I'm sure I have moments where I say I wish I had paid better attention to my steps. I haven't sold anything yet, but I might make it to the World's Book of Records for the most rejection slips, lol.

Again Congratulations!

Therese Fowler 1/29/2007 08:14:00 PM  

Congratulations!!

And kudos for all those prior accomplishments as well.

Your husband reminds me of mine; even some of the small stuff gets commemorated.

I wish I could encapsulate the moment when I stood across the street from Random House last fall with my editor at my side. We'd just finished "doing lunch" for the first time. While we waited for the light to change, she pointed and said, "There's your publishing house."

I think my initial reply was a squeak.

"Say that again," I said.

She laughed, and then she said it again.

Michele 1/29/2007 08:56:00 PM  

Congratulations! And I don't think it's uncool and silly at all. :-)

And it certainly does sound like you have an awesome husband.

Right now, I can't recall anything that I wish I had saved, but after reading this post, I'll certainly remember to savor every moment!

Thanks for the reminder...

Michele Cwiertny

Erik Ivan James 1/30/2007 07:00:00 AM  

A good man respects and appreciates a good woman!

L.L. Bartlett 1/30/2007 08:23:00 AM  

Congratulations! I framed my first writing check ($10) for a short story (but it no longer hangs on the wall). I've been keeping all kinds of stuff for a scrapbook for my first book, but I can't seem to get motivated to do anything with it. (I think it'll be a summer project. Or maybe next fall...then there's always NEXT winter....)

writtenwyrdd 1/30/2007 09:31:00 AM  

You are so lucky in your man, and ya know, you are lucky in your ability to follow your writing path. Whether you work in a day job or not, just writing and finishing and sending it off is a major thing.

Bernita 1/30/2007 10:19:00 AM  

I remember wanting to run up and down the street screaming...
Think the contrib copy is in the attic somewhere.

B.E. Sanderson 1/30/2007 03:01:00 PM  

Congratulations. Both for the first 'real name' check and for the wonderful husband.

I haven't received anything yet worth saving, but I'm a packrat. I still have the 'Silver Poet' award thingy I got 22 years ago. (Which even though I know how pointless it is now, is still a step in my writing life.)

Again, congratulations. Now give that wonderful hubbie of yours something nice, too. ;o)

spyscribbler 1/30/2007 07:31:00 PM  

Thank you, Christina! Writing corner. Right beside the scary picture of Stephen King. :)

Oh Therese, I'd have squeaked, too! Now that one gives me chills!

Michele, I forget, too. I'm glad hubby reminds me!

spyscribbler 1/30/2007 07:34:00 PM  

Awww, Erik! *blush* He's a far better man than I am woman, I often fear.

LOL, L.L. It woulda taken me forever to do it!

You're so right, writtenwyrdd. I would hope I woulda framed the rejection slip, too, LOL.

spyscribbler 1/30/2007 07:36:00 PM  

That's awesome, Bernita! And man, you have way more energy than I do, LOL. I'll just jump in DH's arms and let him do the running. *grins*

B.E., that's not pointless! See, I'm not linking the readers, so this check is my first step in this 'real name' business. Your Silver Poet award is, too, and therefore a Big Deal!

Christina Rundle 1/30/2007 10:35:00 PM  

You have a picture of Stephen King on your wall? O.O I never thought to put pictures of my favorite writers up. That's a really great idea.

I have a picture of Joker and Harley Quinn in a hug on my wall. There is something bout Gotham that I just can't grow out of.

spyscribbler 1/31/2007 05:33:00 PM  

LOL, yes, Christina. I just put it up a few days ago. I was at Borders, writing, and I wasn't giving it my best. King's Rose Madder was keeping me company, so I picked it up to read. A great example of digging deep!

I turned it over and got back to writing. Every time I started slacking off in the writing deptartment, his picture glared at me. Scary! So I wrote. And now he hangs on my wall, glaring at me every time I don't dig deep enough.