Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Limitations of Goals

My productivity the past two days has been disappointing. I don't know what's up. Should I make up excuses?

The Big N starts on Monday, I'm spending time thinking ahead.

I've been researching. I'm just taking it easy before the big push.

I can't think of anymore. Why can't I think of anymore? Probably because none of them are true. The truths is, I've been distracted.

Worse than that, after I put in my bare minimum, I've been letting myself get distracted. (See! Proof for you! If I ever sound like I'm lecturing on this blog, it's because I'm lecturing at myself. Just look at yesterday's post!) I've reset the daily minimum from 100 to 1,000, although if I have more than two hours, I demand at least 2,000.

But heck, I can do so much more than that.

I literally get to 1,003, and stop. Or I get to 2,006, and stop.

Must dig deeper. Must be better. Must improve. No more today, because I've got lots of work to do. Boy, do I have a lot of work to do! The Big N starts Monday!

4 bonus scribbles:

Erik Ivan James 1/14/2007 07:37:00 AM  

Um...Spyscribbler...maybe you are focused too much on the productivity numbers your brain tells you to write, instead of focusing on the words your heart wants you to write....hummmm? ~smiling~

spyscribbler 1/14/2007 08:13:00 AM  

Hey Zoe! The Big N is the Big Novel.

LOL, Erik. Maybe! My heart's already done the work on this story; it's already thinking about the Big N. I can't wait!

Kate S 1/14/2007 03:36:00 PM  

Good luck with your goals, Spy. I know how hard it is to keep butt in chair, hands on keyboard, yet so very easy to do anything else.

I'm trying to get in the groove right now also and finish two novellas and two novels by the end of the year. If I don't go to jail for murdering my teenager first... Hmm, on the other hand, I would have plenty of time to write then...:o)