Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Ramblings, Today

Okay, so I'll just be up front. Today I'm going to ramble, pretending I have content and we'll just have to see if I have any. I'm doing my taxes today. (Doesn't that explain it?) I was supposed to do them yesterday. I even took the writing morning off to do them yesterday (a once-in-a-year occurrence), and all I really got done was procrastinating the taxes.

I had a great writing day today, though!

Rambling #1: Jessica Faust at BookEnds made me bark with laughter today. If this is indicative of what they receive, our chances are a lot better than what statistics lead us to believe. (Note my hypocrisy: see Rambling #4) Jessica is always nice, though. Even when she tells it like it is, she's got an air of postivity about her. I like that.

Rambling #2: Bernita has a good post up about writing books. (She always has good posts, LOL.) People say what I'm about to say in music a whole lot, but I don't hear it said anywhere else. Some teachers don't actually do what they teach.

I think the reason is that a whole lot of us don't know what we do when we sit down to write. Someone else would have tell me my greatest strength, because I have no clue. (I'm good at finding my faults; not as good at fixing them.)

It's good to keep in mind that authors often don't, either, even the best of them. That's not to say what they have to teach isn't valuable or worth a look-see, though!

Rambling #3: I want to move to San Francisco so I can go here on a daily basis. Be still my heart! Oh. My. Goddess.

Rambling #4: I gotta be honest with you. I don't have the stomach for American Idol. Kids come in and tell me about how stupid some of the contestants look/act, and they tell me how horrible they are. I'm not sure at what level this bothers me. My gut tells me this is not teaching something good to the kids.

My heart aches for those who have (possibly) put their heart and soul into a dream, only to be humiliated. Can't we treat them with a little more care?

After all, they worked hard to get where they aren't.

At the RWA Conference last year, there was a similar "Idol" with first pages. To be honest, it made me a little sick to my stomach. I can't say that at times, I haven't enjoyed the smug laugh at some stupid mistake, or the desire to point out glaring mistakes in one famous author's work. I can't say that it wasn't satisfying at the time.

But.

I only listened to the RWA Idol on CD -- didn't get to go to the national conference last year. I'm told that they're all awesome agents, and even funny. I felt nauseous throughout the whole thing, horrified that the actual authors were in the audience hearing their hard work ripped apart. Maybe not being present was part of it. I'm afraid all three of the agents got a big scratch out on my list (not that they'll miss me, LOL), mostly because I didn't know who was who on the tape, and ...

I'm told I'd be lucky to have any one of them, and I do know 'they' are right.

Still. Public flogging leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

9 bonus scribbles:

Kate S 1/23/2007 05:19:00 PM  

I couldn't agree more, Spy. I get sick from the meanness and the public humiliations.

Karen Olson 1/23/2007 06:16:00 PM  

The thing with American Idol is that everyone knows that if they go on, they're subjecting themselves to possible ridicule. It's not like they haven't seen it before and don't have a clue what to expect. It's like going on Survivor and not knowing how to make fire. For God's sake, we all know now that if you're going on Survivor, you should practice making fire beforehand!

spyscribbler 1/23/2007 06:25:00 PM  

You're absolutely right, Karen. I just know that many of those who audition truly believe, with all their heart, that they're better than those that usually get ridiculed.

Witness the many adults who cry as they're leaving the stadiums after the auditions.

spyscribbler 1/23/2007 06:40:00 PM  

(Did I make it clear that I agree with you? They did sign up for that. I just feel too much for them.)

Zoe Winters 1/24/2007 07:29:00 AM  

Thanks for that link to Jessica Faust's blog! This really reaffirms my "this isn't a lottery" theorum. We aren't pulling floaty colored balls out of a big machine here.

And yes, I agree with you about public flogging.

At the same time, it can be done with tact. ala Miss Snark. I've never considered her overly rude or hurtful.

Bernita 1/24/2007 09:04:00 AM  

"...because I have no clue."
That's me!
Thank you for the link, though.

spyscribbler 1/24/2007 02:03:00 PM  

Zoe, I'm a big Miss Snark fan. She's always snarky, but you can tell she truly cares. That's a big difference.

LOL, Bernita! Me too!

Avery 1/24/2007 04:56:00 PM  

That a 'professional' organization would stoop to the level of mean-spirited mockery that is American Idol? It's sickening. Whether those people asked for it or not, it should never have been an 'event' in the first place. Wow, the depths of bad taste society will plummet to never ceases to amaze.

Christina Rundle 1/25/2007 12:54:00 PM  

Oh Crap, that is so mean! I didn't know RWA did that. I'm sure it's funny at the time, but it isn't right. Who wants to be flogged in public? I only know a handful of people who have enough esteem to get through something like that. Me? My skin is still thin. I know, wrong business to have thin skin, but give a dog a bone! I don't think reading something people put so much effort into, just to make others laugh, is really nice.