Sunday, January 21, 2007

Warning: Testosterone Overload

I have to preface this post with a disclaimer. I love reading male protagonists. In fact, I've done so all my life, no problem. Fine. No big deal. Most of my friends in college were guys. What's the difference? Guys are fine. I like guys. I love my DH. I have nothing against the male species.

Now, I love spy stories. I love espionage thrillers. But last night, in the middle of listening to The Company by Robert Littel, I couldn't take it anymore.

I suddenly felt that if I read one more male protagonist, I was going to throw up. No kidding. I have absolutely no idea why. I have six books that I'm really dying to read that are excellent, outstanding books. Really excellent books.

But they've got male protagonists.

That's fine, but ... I'm sick of male protagonists in the genre I want to read. I literally feel NAUSEOUS at the thought of reading one more male protagonist. I've never, ever, experienced this in my whole life.

Maybe it's some weird hormone or something.

And I love romances, but I'm sick of the fact that every damn time a woman is the protagonist, she's got to have a romance.

Help! I'm dying to read some real kick-ass heroines. Any recommendations? I guess I can put up with a romance, if need be, but I swear to goodness ... no man rescues the woman plots, please!

5 bonus scribbles:

The Dark Scribe 1/21/2007 01:41:00 PM  

Gravity, by Tess Gerritsen, has a female protagonist. Actually, I think all of Tess Gerritsen's protagonists are females. Of course, they aren't really spy thrillers. But Gravity was pretty damn exciting!

I don't know what to tell you. Don't read my novels (if they ever get published) until you're done puking over male protagonists. Mac (the main character) has testosterone pouring out his ears. But he's funny, and, often, quite sensitive (he just tries to hide it most of the time).

In the meantime, Alias reruns should help.

Therese Fowler 1/21/2007 03:25:00 PM  

Right, enough of the man-rescues-woman stuff already!

Unless, that is, it's a mutual rescue sort of thing--am thinking of Susan Isaacs' SHINING THROUGH, an old favorite of mine.

Also a great example of a first-person narrative that WORKS.

spyscribbler 1/21/2007 03:49:00 PM  

Okay, Gravity is going up in my TBR pile, and I just started Stephen King's Rose Madder. I also am writing down Susan Isaac's book, a Meljean Brook's book, and a chick lit.

Thanks, Therese! By the time I'm done with those, I think I'll be over this.

Dark Scribe, I got the WHOLE series of Alias for Christmas. Methinks it's time for a marathon. :)

The Dark Scribe 1/21/2007 04:19:00 PM  

Alias is better as a marathon anyway...that way you don't have to wait a week to find out just how brutally Sydney will kick everyone's ass :)

Bernita 1/22/2007 08:59:00 AM  

With you, mostly.
I like men too.