Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Wonderful Thing About Resolutions

I had a tough decision to make recently. The decision is made ... and yet, I still hesitate. Why do I hesitate? Is it the money? Is it the niggling feeling that I might be wrong?

I first made the decision not to go ahead because of my New Year's Resolutions. It was so easy to look to those for guidance. Lori Armstrong over at First Offenders very recently talked about those people who live by a quote.

Life is easier to navigate with a compass.

I held my conundrum up to this year's compass, and it didn't fit. I want to Live Real. I suspect my hesitation lies with the character herself.

But I am not my character. I don't want to be her, and as a matter of fact, I have to crawl in someone else's skin. Do you ever catch yourself making a decision as your character, instead of yourself?

My quote was "must be better," but only because I'm always chanting it to myself. *giggle* Believe me, I have reason. :-)

Maybe that's what bothers me ... the "must be better" compass is pointing towards revisions, but the "Live Real" compass is pointing towards not making it Christian Erotica. And so the compass is going wacko.

Do you have a compass? A quote you live by? A North Star? Do you consult it? I'm just curious.

15 bonus scribbles:

Erik Ivan James 1/11/2007 07:08:00 AM  

Yes, I have a compass.

Every morning I say to God, "God, give me the courage to do what is right today."

And then when shit happens during the day, I try to remember what I said to God that morning.

StarvingWriteNow 1/11/2007 07:52:00 AM  

Frankly, my dear, I can sense you're uncomfortable with the whole christian erotica thing. I think if you try to change what you've written to fit that "genre" the discomfort will come through to the reader. Did you read the post at Romancing The Blog this morning? Perfect timing, I'd say.

Anyway, on to compasses... I try and keep telling myself, every day, "I CAN."

spyscribbler 1/11/2007 03:49:00 PM  

Erik, that's a good one. I also like WWJD?

You are SO right, starvingwritenow. Okay, I'm off to email my editor. And yes! Wasn't that the perfect blog?!

Karen Olson 1/11/2007 04:25:00 PM  

Over at First Offenders, Alison and Lori both talked about quotes this week. Maybe that's where you saw this.

I don't live by quotes. Too hard to live up to. Rather go by the seat of my pants.

Edie 1/11/2007 04:51:00 PM  

I like what what Karen says about going by the seat of her pants, but I do have quotes on my computer. The one I like lately is a simple word: Onward.

And I think you made the right choice about not writing Christian erotica. Those two words together make me want to giggle.

Christina Rundle 1/11/2007 06:00:00 PM  

You know, I have my moments when I forget who I am. It's not like I like some of my characters, but sometimes I become them so completely that it's hard forcing my hand to write something because the character just refuses to do that on paper.

A few days ago I was dreaming about my characters and when I woke up, for that split second, I thought I was one of them.

It's so odd, but LKH has the great stories about that. She said she was looking around the house for her favorite mug, actually got everyone in her house to help her look for it, then she remembered that it was her character's favorite mug and that she never had a mug like that. Now that is funny.

I have a few quotes, but then I find a new quote that I like and then I forget the other ones. As far as a North Star, no, though that sounds interesting.

Dona Sarkar-Mishra 1/11/2007 07:01:00 PM  

Thank you so much for the good wishes! In this industry having friends is so much more important that I had ever imagined. :)

Also, Christian Erotica sounds really interesting....love the concept ;)

spyscribbler 1/11/2007 07:25:00 PM  

Thanks, Karen! I updated my blog so it would properly link to First Offenders.

Just curious, are you pantser in plotting, too? (I am, too, usually!)

spyscribbler 1/11/2007 07:31:00 PM  

Edie! I like that. I always think of "upward and onward" in ... was it the Last Battle by C.S. Lewis.

Wow, Christina!!! That is so cool! I wish I could say that!

Congratulations again, Dona! (Btw, everyone pop by her blog for an inspiring The Call story!)

Erik Ivan James 1/12/2007 07:12:00 AM  

Um, Spyscribbler, please forgive my ignorance, but what is WWJD?

spyscribbler 1/12/2007 10:37:00 AM  

What Would Jesus Do?

Except I'm not usually as good as all that, LOL. Sometimes it works well with other people one admires, too. :-)

Karen Olson 1/12/2007 02:29:00 PM  

I'm so a "pantser," as you wonderfully put it, in my writing. I don't usually outline. But I had to write a proposal for this fourth book and it nearly killed me. 3 pages in 3 weeks. I could've had 50 pages written! And now that I am 50 pages into the book, I've already deviated from the proposal. So who knows what will happen now...

spyscribbler 1/12/2007 07:39:00 PM  

LOL, Karen. I was just reading somewhere an interview with Nora's agent, a few months back. Evidently, when she first started out, Nora just couldn't do it. Instead, she worked night and day to write the whole novel, and then wrote the proposal ... because it was just easier that way.

I just get the biggest kick out of that. :-)

Kate S 1/12/2007 08:39:00 PM  

Spy, I'm impressed that you would even attempt it. Like Edie, just seeing those two words together make me giggle. Isn't it an oxymoron? :) Ok, sorry. But truly, kudos to you for giving it a shot.

spyscribbler 1/12/2007 08:45:00 PM  

LOLOL ... I didn't so much give it a shot, as be told after I'd written it that I'd very nearly written it. So now it's sort of floating in a not-quite either land, but ... I prefer it that way. I'm true to the characters, but I'm not preaching a religion.