Sunday, February 18, 2007

24 on Tap

've held back from watching 24 for about six weeks, until the episodes built up. See, DH has never seen 24. He doesn't like it, and doesn't want to see it.

I, however, know DH quite well, and I know he'd love it. So I saved it until I could watch it when he was around. Last night he picked up a book and grumbled when I put it on. "I hate 24," he said.

I said, "Just watch the preview thing, so you don't have to ask me a lot of questions about what's going on." (We went through that with Alias, because he supposedly doesn't like that one, either.)

"I don't want to watch it. I don't like 24. I'm not going to ask you questions."

I pushed his buttons until he watched them. As soon as they were over, he picked up his book.

Except he didn't read it. Every commercial, he'd grumble and pick up his book again, pretending he hadn't meant to watch it. Halfway through our second episode, he stopped grumbling. He couldn't take his eyes away.

When we got to the third episode, he abandoned all pretense, turned off the lights, and started watching. Through three more episodes, he didn't fall asleep. (This happens rarely. DH watches TV to go to sleep, so when he stays awake for a whole episode, it's a REALLY good show. When he stays awake for five hours until two in the morning, it's a DAMN good show.)

You know, Jack Bauer has just about the shittiest life of any protagonist I've ever seen. Can you think of someone with a better life? I keep thinking someone should say, "Just take a 15 minute nap! You could use it! You've had a rough day, and you have to save the world in an hour!" Like from 3 - 4, I think he should be napping.

And why is it that those guys in that prison supposedly didn't know anything, but yet, five episodes ago, they were the only intel that proved there were "five visitors" and not just one. So when they proved that those guys knew nothing, why didn't they question that intel? If they weren't connected, then how did they get that intel in the first place?

I'm just curious.

Anyway, DH--bless his heart--is very stubborn. Even though he was glued to the set for six hours of 24 last night, he still says he doesn't like it. Hah!

14 bonus scribbles:

Anissa 2/18/2007 03:48:00 PM  

I love 24. Love everything about it--the premise, execution, format. And Jack Bauer rocks! When he bit that guy's neck. OMG! That's when I knew. Jack's back. Glad hubby enjoyed it (even if he won't admit it)!

Rob Brooks 2/18/2007 04:01:00 PM  

I never liked 24 before I watched it either--I hated all the hype around it. I generally dislike things that are hyped so much. But once I started watching it, I couldn't stop. Same with Alias--a friend of mine made me watch the first episdoe, then my wife and I were hooked. I was sad to see what happened to it in the last season. They really should have ended it after four years. I'd love to see an Alias movie, though!

spyscribbler 2/18/2007 08:17:00 PM  

Oh, Anissa, that is my all-time favorite scene ever. Talk about gripping.

LOL, Rob! You sound like DH. I loved Alias so much, it could've gone on forever as far as I was concerned. I would LOVE to see an Alias movie! Or maybe the daughter could have a show?

StarvingWriteNow 2/19/2007 06:28:00 AM  

Sweetheart and Son are addicts as well, but whenever I'm in the room I can't stop myself from making fun of it. That whole suspended disbelief thing... Then I'm asked to leave. :)

Stewart Sternberg 2/19/2007 10:05:00 AM  

I wanted to watch 24 but the first two seasons it was impossible. They pre empted episodes, I missed others...

So I opted instead to watch them when they came out on DVD. I watched the first four seasons that way. Now I'm watching each week. However, there is something to be said about taking a weekend and watching in three to four hour chunks at a time.

Open letter to Jack:

Kill Dad.

spyscribbler 2/19/2007 03:08:00 PM  

Starvingwritenow, you've got a point. If it weren't so gripping, it'd be hard to ignore that disbelief. I mean, how bad can a guy's life get???

Stewart, you're right. I was wondering, though, if it was easier to suspend disbelief if you're not thrown five hours straight of one horrible thing after another? I haven't done the week to week thing, yet.

Yes Jack, kill Dad.

Erik Ivan James 2/19/2007 06:01:00 PM  

~laughing~
I'm still holding out. Haven't watched it yet...or any of the others.

Avery 2/19/2007 06:02:00 PM  

I also meant to watch them, but never seemed to catch the first episodes. I kept thinking, "Well, it's only twenty-four hours and I missed one of them." So, I never even tried to play catch-up. But, my dad is a 24 freak. I bought him the first two seasons for Christmas (with the selfish little thought that I'd borrow them back once he'd finished watching them).

Kate S 2/19/2007 07:04:00 PM  

LOL - Spy, is your husband related to my daughter? Sounds like the same personality type. :)

If Emily weren't like that, I'd say it was a "guy thing" because my brother scoffed at Harry Potter for the longest time until I shamed him into reading the first one. He read the next three straight through, still complaining about it most of the way, but he finally gave in and admitted he was hooked by the fifth book. :)

I haven't watched 24 in a long time. I used to like it. I'll have to get caught up.

The Dark Scribe 2/19/2007 09:57:00 PM  

24 is the best show on television. And no, I'm not a Republican (somehow, this assumption has become rampant, almost to the point where I'm afraid to say I like 24). Sure, it's escapist and requires major suspension of disbelief. But isn't that exactly what television should be? Isn't that why we seek entertainment? To be entertained?

Anyway, great post, great show. Regarding your question about the prisoners, I'd have to agree--the FBI should have been monitoring the same terrorist website that supplied the information the prisoners found. So it shouldn't have been a surprise anyway. Oh well. You should check out the forums at http://www.fox.com/24...it's a great place to talk about plot twists, episodes, etc.

Bernita 2/20/2007 09:47:00 AM  

Men are like that, about reading genres too.

spyscribbler 2/20/2007 10:25:00 PM  

LOL, Erik.

Avery, it's so hard to jump in mid-season, but ... it's worth it!

Really, Kate? Oh, man. I love him to death, but I swear. If I like something, or I mention that he'd like something, he automatically says he doesn't like it!!! What is UP with that? 99% of the time, I'M right, and he DOES end up liking it!

24 fan=Republican?? That's kind of funny, Dark Scribe. I feel kinda silly, because I don't get the connection at all! I'm off to the forums now.

spyscribbler 2/20/2007 10:26:00 PM  

So true, Bernita. My DH started reading romantic suspense because I told him it was suspense. :-) Clever little me.

Now he reads WAY more of them than I do.

The Dark Scribe 2/21/2007 10:18:00 AM  

About a week ago, Keith Olbermann deemed 24 "a Neocon fantasy" (or something like that. I think the 24=Republican idea stems from the show's accepted use of torture to pry information from suspects, and the whole "do whatever it takes, the constitution be damned" approach.

The great irony is that both Palmer's are Democrats, and the writer's never hold back when they have an opportunity to lambaste President Bush. They'll slip in lines like, "You can't just throw away the constitution for your personal agenda."

Anyway, the whole point is moot, because regardless of your political bent, the show is just good television. It's entertaining, smart, fast-paced, has a great score, and the whole thing just works. If you want to see more about the political side of 24, though, run a search on those forums. It's pretty rabid over there.