Monday, February 05, 2007

Mysteries and Thrillers

I've been having a problem. See, we all know that every characters serves a purpose. Lately, when I pick up a book, I tend to go through the mental checklist to figure out who is who and why a character is in the book.

The result?

As soon as a character enters, I seem to know exactly what purpose s/he's going to serve for the book. This means, I know that so and so is going to betray so and so at the end, I know who the killer is, I know who the author wants me to think is the killer.

What do you do?

I mean, in a typical mystery or thriller, you have: the killer, the one were supposed to think it is, so it's a surprise, and usually one to suspect that we know isn't the one.

So what do you do? Include five? To what purpose would the other characters serve, other than a distraction?

Tess Gerrittsen talked about her frustration on endings and readers today. I hear her frustration. It's impossible to please everyone.

I just need to know how to please enough people, LOL.

2 bonus scribbles:

Bernita 2/06/2007 08:03:00 AM  

Seems there are people - nor sure I would call them readers - who want "so and so is dead, so and so did it, The End."

spyscribbler 2/06/2007 03:27:00 PM  

Yes! I hear you. I feel like I have to write, "and they lived happily ever after," somedays. Or else I get, "I'm not much for ambiguous endings." They kissed already! She said she'd love him forever! Do they need to see the wedding? Do they need to see the 50-year anniversary?

Er, not that you hit a hot button, LOL. :-)