Saturday, February 24, 2007

New Writing Digs

Remember when you were a kid and you first entered an amusement park? When you gasped in complete delight at the magic around you?

Today I walked into a new bookstore. On the outside, it looked like another Borders, a little worse for the wear. On the inside? It was TWICE AS BIG! I had one of those grins I couldn't control, and I couldn't even help the gasp of "Wow!" when I walked in.

Be still my heart.

And then it has a FIREPLACE in the coffee shop! I've been struggling to write at "my" old Borders, because they've been setting the thermostat to 55 or something. I just can't stay there! This place has a FIREPLACE, plus ALL the books I've been wanting but aren't in my old Borders. The new place is warm!

But the new Borders is 45 minutes away.

I managed to convince the DH that it's worth the drive. Yes, I am spoiled. Not only does he go writing with me and keep me company, but he drives me there.

Anyway, I've been sprucing up my web design skills, particularly CSS. (As if I don't have enough to do, LOL.) I haven't done much designing in the last five years, which means everything I knew is either forgotten or outdated. You just might see some experimentation here in the next few weeks. Drop me a line if everything goes haywire. :-)

There's a special website I've been thinking about building, but ... it'd take up TONS of my time. I think it'd be worth it. If I can cut back on my day job a little this summer, then I'll do it.

Here's a funny little bookmarklet I stumbled across in my research. If you confuse its and it's, then go to Andy Wibbels' site and add a bookmarklet to your links. Every time you click it, a little box pops open telling you the difference.

Okay, most of us are writers, and we know the difference. But it's cute, isn't it?

I'm also going to experiment with Windows Live Writer, which evidently will make publishing to any blog easy. Anyone use it?

I'm on a little web kick. I just installed a feedburner feed, in case you want to subscribe. Anyone play with any cool web gadgets/widgets/thingamabobs lately? Do share! And what is all this hype about del.icio.us?

4 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 2/25/2007 08:40:00 AM  

This must be the Strongsville Borders. Yeah, that fireplace is sooo nice.

B.E. Sanderson 2/25/2007 09:04:00 AM  

The only goodie I have is my word meter. The original code is from evolutionwriters.com, but I've tweaked it, because I didn't like the color choices they offer.

Enjoy your new writing spot. It sounds lovely.

Susan Helene Gottfried 2/25/2007 09:25:00 AM  

The first Borders that opened in my area had a fireplace, among other luxuries. Imagine my surprise when they stopped installing them! And the big stores that don't build-in areas for readings, like that first Borders? For-get-it!

As for goodies, I don't do Feedburner 'cause it makes people sign up for it to get your feed. Stick with good old Atom and Google Reader.

And Del.icio.us? I'm not 100% certain how it's social networking, but I know a bunch of people do, and it's on my list to investigate in the near future. One advantage is that your bookmarks are available, no matter what computer you're on.

spyscribbler 2/25/2007 06:51:00 PM  

Oh, starvingwritenow, I am TOTALLY in love. I thought I'd walked into a huge candy store! I went in a three-story bookstore once, and almost had a heart attack. DH didn't understand that even though it was vacation, I needed to spend all day there.

I'm going to have to check that out B.E.!

Do you have trouble getting my feed off my page? At the bottom is an atom feed. On the side is feedburner. I signed up for tons of feedburner feeds before I even knew what they were, and they didn't make me register. I was told it was easier for you guys!

I love Google Reader! But I finally switched to Thunderbird Email. I like have my feeds and email all in one place.