Agents and Authors alike have compared their relationship to a marriage. There's the courting, the (hopefully) long-term relationship, (but always with the "professional" caveat).
I found my wonderful DH after I figured out exactly what I wanted in a partner. And so, today I'll set the laws of the universe in motion and see if the same thing works for agents. (Okay, I'm not ready to query yet, but ... in a couple months.)
Below are 13 things I wish for in my dream agent. We're talking dream here. My dream DH didn't fart in his sleep and was a little more perfect, but I don't mind. He more than makes up for it. :-)
I'm curious. Did I forget anything? Did I put anything on the list that I *should* forget? What's your dream agent like? (Speaking of which, I have to nod to BookEnds blog for inspiring this post!) If you have an agent, what do you like most about him/her? What about the relationship was unexpected?
- 1. Someone I click with.
- 2. Someone who has my back, (or side, or front).
- 3. Someone who wants to sell my career more than my book.
- 4. Someone who loves making deals AND being a part of my book (whether it be editing, or problem-noticing, or whatever).
- 5. Someone who is smart about what makes a book work (or not work).
- 6. Someone who is willing to read everything before it goes out, forever and ever.
- 7. Someone who would never be inclined to think anything was good 'enough.'
- 8. Someone who is up front and clear about what they expect and want.
- 9. Someone who is professional, yet can be friendly.
- 10. Someone who is positive, and is a person I genuinely like and respect.
- 11. Someone who likes and respects me, too.
- 12. Someone honest, of course!
- 13. Someone who doesn't mind weighing both sides, and explaining to me all the things I don't know or understand.
Is that a lot to ask? Too much? Unrealistic? What should I expect?