Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Too Much or Too Little

I guess I'm on a tv kick. I didn't day job this past weekend, so it was like I only had one job. It was wonderful! It's back to the grind now.

Anyway, I loved the new 24 episode.

Except.

I just can't watch so many episodes in a short time frame. I suspect that I need a week between each episode to help me suspend disbelief. Otherwise, I start laughing in all the wrong places. (Excuse me, I'm bad at remembering names.) Like when what's-his-name agrees with what's-her-name to give M-something a chance to continue working, because she insists that he didn't metabolize the alcohol on his breath.

Sure, I'll give him a chance. With MILLIONS of lives at stake, we'll take a chance, no big deal. And that's IF you've gotten past the fact that a few hours ago, M-something was TORTURED and RESPONSIBLE for programming the suitcase bombs we're worrying about!

Of course, you may not have gotten that far. You may be struggling to suspend disbelief that Jack Bauer is on this case at all, considering HIS FAMILY is at fault. No one even QUESTIONS his loyalty or his ability to KILL them if he needs to. Or that he might not be the best man for the job, considering how well this enemy knows his buttons.

And Jack Bauer can "order up" a small team without explaining 'what for' to his superior??? Oh, right. If this is how the government work, please enlighten me. I can think of quite a few places this would make my plot MUCH easier.

I'm sorry. I sound awfully snarky. I actually LOVE 24. I just need to watch one episode per week. Anymore than that is too much.

Then I watched Nora's movies. I love her books, but ... the movies? Wow. They're like boring cardboard, or paper cut-outs of a story. If I saw her movies and hadn't read her books, I would NEVER pick up her books. Never.

Carolina Moon was the best, with the Fire one second best. (Mostly because the actresses truly carried the movie.) The other two ... er ... let's be nice and say they didn't work for me at all.

They make me want to read the books again, and find out WHY in the world I like Nora so much. I suspect the screen doesn't do justice to the characterization and internal stuff in the novel.

I don't know. Do you?

What've you been watching lately? I need another show to Tivo.

9 bonus scribbles:

Anissa 2/20/2007 09:34:00 PM  

I really like Veronica Mars. Younger characters, but consistently well-written. Veronica's dad is my favorite! I believe this is season 3. The recent episodes have been more focused on solving an individual case within the episode as opposed to past seasons where there were longer-spanning mysteries. I read somewhere that they're doing this to try to pull in new viewers.

You should check it out.

spyscribbler 2/20/2007 10:20:00 PM  

LOL ... okay, I could write a really long comment on how and why I've been meaning to tape this, but haven't yet. To make a long story short, I watch the first 5 minutes of it EVERY week (gets taped at the end of Gilmore Girls) and EVERY week I tell myself to adjust my settings so I can tape Veronica Mars.

I WILL, I will, I will do it tonight. For sure!

The Dark Scribe 2/21/2007 10:38:00 AM  

You're right...while it's nice to avoid the loooong week between episodes of 24, watching too many at once can really widen the plot holes. But still...

In defense of the episode, Chloe gives Morris a second chance for a few reasons. One, she feels horrible about what happened to him (the drill, yech). Two, they used to be married, so she knows his character (probably better than we do, although that doesn't sound like a good thing lol), and three, Morris is a damned good analyst, and CTU always seems to be short-staffed. (go figure).

Also, the writers have established that Jack is NOT afraid to kill his own family. Jack's not afraid to kill anyone. He's a certified badass, and they can trust him to make the right decision and follow through. I agree that it would be unwise to place him in that position if we didn't already have five seasons proving how trustworthy he is, but given what we know, I'd say it's a safe bet.

Sorry to rant. Just thought I'd try to fill the holes, if possible :P

We don't watch that much tv, so I don't know if I have many suggestions. Prison Break is ridiculous, but fun, 24, Lost, Earl and The Office. That's about it.

Happy hunting!

Rob Brooks 2/21/2007 12:35:00 PM  

My list is almost the same as above. We watch 24, Lost, Earl, Office, and Heroes. Lately Scrubs and sometimes 30 Rock.

I laughed too when Chloe said "I will personally tell Buchanan if he makes one more mistake." Which mistake is that? the one that kills a million people? There's no room for mistakes in CTU, people.

I've never seen a Nora Roberts movie, or read one of her books, but I know what you mean. I love reading Stephen King, but most of his movies over the years have really sucked. There's a few standouts--Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption--but overall, they're just awful.

The Dark Scribe 2/21/2007 12:56:00 PM  

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Heroes! A great show. Since the break, though, we haven't been able to watch it because it conflicts with 24 (we don't have a TiVo). I'm sure we'll just get the DVDs when they come out.

StarvingWriteNow 2/21/2007 01:59:00 PM  

You don't need another show to TiVo, you need to write! (insert whip cracking sound here)

spyscribbler 2/21/2007 02:21:00 PM  

But Dark Scribe, he's never been afraid to torture, but now he is. And look how soft he was on his brother. I do get your point, I do. I think I need that week. :-)

LOL, Rob. The Morris thing really kicked my suspension over the edge. I do enjoy the show. In fact, I love that it's SO gripping, and the WORST always happens to Jack.

You're right, Starvingwritenow! Didn't I say I'd write twice a day until I got a NY career started? Off to work I go, then.

Therese 2/21/2007 08:43:00 PM  

Part of the fun we have watching 24 is in discussing those stretches of credulity during commercial breaks.

Hey, have you heard these "How tough is Jack?" sayings? Like, "Superman sleeps in Jack Bauer pajamas." and, "When Jack Bauer runs out of ammo, he takes three slugs in the chest, takes them out and reloads."

I watch so little TV--but have gotten pretty geeked up about House of late...

Rob Brooks 2/21/2007 09:34:00 PM  

I love the Jack Bauer facts! The one about Superman sleeping in Jack Bauer pajamas is my favorite. I also like "Jack Bauer played Russian roulette with a fully loaded gun and won."

Here's the site, for anyone interested in a good laugh:
http://www.notrly.com/jackbauer/index.php?topthirty