Sunday, February 04, 2007

Totally Off Topic

I'm drowning in stuff to do. Since my brain can't handle a real post, I thought I'd ask a question.

Why do parents do their kids' homework?

About 20% of my students' parents do their kids' homework. I just want to understand why. There's an anonymous commenting feature here. Please explain, if you or someone you know, LOL ...

Please. I just don't understand.

Sorry for the off topic post. I should be back to normal tomorrow, Tuesday at the latest.

8 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 2/05/2007 07:14:00 AM  

There's lots of reasons this happens. Parental involvement in school has increased, esp. in the last ten years or so. Some parents have totally bought into the myths of "I'm gonna give my kid what I didn't have" and "Everything has to be perfect" and "It's just easier this way." Sometimes it's just a bit of help here and there that over the years gets totally out of control. Sometimes parents are totally obsessed with being the best--from the cars and clothes right down to making a science project that Albert Einstein couldn't figure out. And school doesn't help much here--my son has had plenty of projects from school that say right on them "parental help needed."

I confess, being an English major and a writer, that the urge to "edit" Son's writing is overwhelming at times. Sometimes I do make suggestions here and there but I try really hard not to take pen in hand.

B.E. Sanderson 2/05/2007 08:51:00 AM  

I think it's a misguided urge to 'help' their children succeed. What they don't seem to realize is they're hurting their child's chances at ever becoming a successful adult.

Since I homeschool, it would counter-productive for me to do my child's work. Although it would save time in the correcting portion of the day... Hmmm. ;o)

spyscribbler 2/05/2007 09:32:00 AM  

Thanks, starvingwritenow. Man. In these instances, we're talking about parents actually doing the writing. Editing or correcting, I could understand, but doing it?

B.E., LOL! It sure would be counter-productive! I want to homeschool my kids, if I ever have any. That's awesome.

It's getting to the point where, even if they do their homework at home, we have to do it here anyway--so that THEY get the practice, not their parents!

Bailey Stewart 2/05/2007 11:25:00 AM  

I'm from a different generation. My parent's never helped unless it was with a science project or quizzing me with my spelling words. My dad once said if I wanted them to do my work for me, then I could go to work and they would go back to school.

spyscribbler 2/05/2007 11:43:00 AM  

Oh gosh, me too, Bailey! I would've never even considered asking my parents for help, let alone do my homework. If I needed help, I called a friend. Good point, Bailey. I've forgotten how it was!

A family member was doing her son's book report (writing it!), and she looked at me and said, "Your mom did this for you, didn't she?" I just laughed at her. Yeah right!

Mark 2/05/2007 12:16:00 PM  

There's a definite emphasis on parental involvement and at times it's annoying as hell. Particularly in our school district, there's an "economics" projects due just before the Christmas break for the 5th graders where they create some sort of Christmas gift, manufacture it (with the help of the sweatshop family, in my cases) and market and sell it and write a big report on it.

For my oldest son this was a gigantic pain in the ass and comes at completely the wrong time of year--like we weren't busy enough the first couple weeks in December.

We learned a lot from this, so that when our youngest has this project in a couple years we will choose the project much more intelligently--ie., something very simple to make, and put all the emphasis on the report, which is the bigger part of the grade.

Whenever we get into these issues with our kids, you can hear either my wife or I snap, "Look, I passed the 7th grade already. You have to do the work."

Sometimes I think parents do more of it because it's easier than nagging your kids, but you're not doing anybody any favors.

writtenwyrdd 2/05/2007 04:57:00 PM  

There's this whole culture of nobody can fail going on, and I think that parents also will sometimes fall into that b.s. of their kid can't fail or she/he will feel bad. But the majority of it appears to be wanting their children to be the best and baddest, no matter what it takes.

In essence, that's teaching your kids to cheat, but no one puts it that way any more, do they?

spyscribbler 2/05/2007 08:07:00 PM  

Wow, Mark. That's a whole lot. I'm not crazy about hours and hours of homework after spending hours and hours at school. I wish they could make school time a little more economical. LOLOL ... I love what you tell your kids! So true!

Writtenwyrdd, you're right. Cheating is not considered bad by kids, especially the ones whose parents do their homework. Sad!