Tuesday, March 27, 2007

24, Jack Bauer, and Sasha Cohen

marisolSo what’d you think of 24 last night? Day 6, 8:00 p.m., that is.

I swear, an hour with 24 can be an irritating and wonderful experience. Never before have I seen a tv show know how to grab the gut SO well. 24 sets up those questions that writers spend whole novels exploring. 24 is like high-concept after high-concept.

And then the actress doesn’t deliver, like the scene with President’s sister deciding to risk her brother’s life? Totally fell flat for me—and talk about a gut-grabbing, powerful moment it could’ve been!

Or the character’s reactions are preposterous, like when Nadia kisses what’s-his-name. She’s going to forgive him that quick? Or when Chloe states the obvious so that we, stupid audience, will know that things will be awkward with Nadia.

Jack Bauer made himself quite sympathetic this week, and you’d hardly know that he killed a man with his bare teeth this morning. He seems more at peace and more relaxed. Amazing how much a man can change in a day.

The bit with the vice president is intensely irritating. His character would be entirely preposterous if it weren’t for our own Mad King George (W., that is).

But the question of waking the president, risking his life to save the world from World War III? Awesome. There were several other powerful moments in this episode, too.

1140892104_9528Overall, 24 is like figure skating since the new judging system. Skaters are striving for more and better, but they’ve been falling so much more. Like Sasha Cohen, god bless her beauty and heart, who shows artistic perfection and amazing beauty in every moment … but falls, spoiling the breathtaking moment.

I feel like that with 24. It grabs my gut, and I am SO ready to hold my breath and be blown away, but then … it falls. Flat.

What do you think?

2 bonus scribbles:

Holly Kennedy 3/28/2007 11:46:00 AM  

Hey there from Canada...
I almost never watch TV *gasp* so 24 is completely foreign to me (I'm behind writing my 3rd novel and barely managing to feed my kids these days!!)

However, I just got caught up on your posts and wanted to say thanks for the info on Stephen King's Haven Foundation. Until now, I'd never heard of it.
Sorry to comment out of order!!

Therese 3/28/2007 03:57:00 PM  

I was happy to see Jack's soft side--he is a pro!

And I don't think the kiss b/w Nadia and Milo was forgiveness--I thought she essentially said, "nice, but tough luck." Maybe I got it wrong?

I'm loving how they keep ratcheting up VP Daniels' megalomania.

The occasional obvious plot device or flat performance doesn't bother me; the scope of the show makes it tough to pull off every bit.

I've begun watching House--and *love* it.

(p.s. I "tagged" you on my blog today...)