Thursday, March 29, 2007

Break Time!

Spring Break! Thank the heavens!

Spring break is my one-track-mind time, where everything I do will be focused on writing my novel!

That is, after I take a three-day mental break. I’m going to read three books I’ve been dying to finish: Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett; Rose Madder, by Stephen King; and A Widow for One Year, by John Irving. (I’d thought I’d read Widow, but I really don’t think I have. Either way, good excuse to re-read it! :-)

Maybe I’ll do some cleaning. Definitely some extra sleeping. I might even spend the WHOLE day on Sunday in my pajamas. Maybe I’ll spend the whole day in BED! Wouldn’t that be nice?

So while I might pop by y’all’s blogs next week when I’m home, I probably won’t blog until April 8. I’ll be at Borders, writing, although I might take a day or two to go fishing and kayaking. (DH baits the hook, removes, and cleans the fish per a bargain we struck ages ago.)

Kitten on KayakI tried to set up my blog editor so that it would post things in the future (it said it would), but then it posted right away, hence multiple posts last weekend.

Will you come back after my break? I’ll miss you while I’m reading, writing, and kayaking!

It’s been a rough year. I’m mentally burnt-out, physically drained, and just plain out exhausted. I pushed myself right over the edge, and even though I’m writing a little (<i>leeeeeetle bit</i>) every day, I’m not getting much done other than researching and thinking and scribbles on other little stories to keep me in writing practice.

My brain is fried. My foot is still a pain in the … foot after eight months, which is totally hindering my exercise loves, which usually keep me balanced. But …

Busted Bass Boat 328There’s many more important things going on than little me, but dear universe, I pray that by the end of spring break, I’m feeling balanced, the foot is workable, and my book is racing along.

And world peace!

17 bonus scribbles:

Michelle,  3/30/2007 05:23:00 AM  

Amen to your prayer to the universe, and world peace is always good :). HAve a great break and may the words flow and the foot heal.

Erica Orloff 3/30/2007 06:41:00 AM  

World peace would be great!

Good Omens is on my top-ten books of ALL TIME. Enjoy it. And John Irving makes that list, too. Sounds like a wonderful spring break.

E

StarvingWriteNow 3/30/2007 07:12:00 AM  

Girl, you need to give your foot doctor a roundhouse right in his butt! What is up with that thing? I thought it was healed up.

Wendy Roberts 3/30/2007 10:20:00 AM  

Sending healing thoughts to your poor foot! Enjoy spring break.

Bernita 3/30/2007 10:35:00 AM  

Fishing is wonderfully restorative. Time rests when you fish.

Rob Brooks 3/30/2007 12:09:00 PM  

You're in for some good reading! I love all three of those books. Good Omens is hilarious, but what do you expect, look who wrote it. Widow for a Year is my favorite Irving novel, although it does have some similarities to World According to Garp (as best I recall. It's been a few years since I read either.) And I love all things Stephen King. If you ever get the chance (next spring break?) try King's Bag of Bones. Phenomenal.

I just got a notification from my library that my reservation for Stephen King's son Joe Hill's book "Heart-Shaped Box" is in. That's my next reading project, as soon as I finish my Elmore Leonard book. Can't wait for it!

Sorry for running a little long.

Kate S 3/30/2007 02:00:00 PM  

I just finished Good Omens last night and it was great - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The kitty is precious - did she get over her fight with the other cat?

I completely understand the need to take a break and heal. Be well!

Rashenbo 3/30/2007 02:18:00 PM  

CUTE Picture!!!! :) How have you been?

Rashenbo 3/30/2007 02:19:00 PM  

Or rather, I should say, are things a little better today than they were yesterday. Sounds like you've had some real life business to keep your mind away from the internet too!

avery 4/02/2007 11:55:00 AM  

Good Omens is the perfect book to read while on break -- light, funny, and not too taxing on the brain.

I hope your foot feels better. I have no way to relate to loving exercise, but I'll assume it sucks not being able to when you do. For me it's like, "Whoo-hoo! I'm injured. Can't go to the gym!" Then again, I was the kid in P.E. who was always in far, far, far left field picking grass.

Jeff,  4/02/2007 04:38:00 PM  

Don't forget Harry, Carrie, and Garp! Were you finally able to get it to play?

spyscribbler 4/02/2007 10:17:00 PM  

Thanks Michelle! I'm really liking Good Omens, Erica.

Starving, I have no idea. Some days I have no hope. But I'm trying everything I can think of!

Thanks, Wendy! Bernita, you're right!! It's turning to snow soon, so no fishing for me, unfortunately. The DH doesn't like the wind, today. :-(

Rob, run as long as you like! I'll have to check his son's book out some time!

spyscribbler 4/02/2007 10:22:00 PM  

Wow, what a coincidence, Kate! I'm still working on it, but I think it brought out the best in both of them.

The cats have declared a truce, although they still scuffle now and then. Thanks for asking!

Thanks, rashenbo! Isn't he adorable???? I way biased, but still ... he's the cutest kitty EVER!

LOL, Avery. Exercise and I run hot and cold, but then I found taekwondo ... now I miss it!

Jeff, thanks for the reminder! I haven't had a chance, yet. You'd be surprised at how much work I have to get done on a week off. I'm trying to do as little as possible, though, and that video is definitely at the top of my list for this week!

Anissa 4/02/2007 10:45:00 PM  

Have a great time away, Spy. See you when you get back! :)

Jeff 4/03/2007 10:57:00 PM  

Good Omens is great!

Bailey Stewart 4/05/2007 06:42:00 AM  

We all need those re-energizing times, hope yours is a good one.

Love the cat pictures.

ERiCA 4/06/2007 09:02:00 AM  

Hope your spring break's been awesome!