Thursday, March 15, 2007

Innocent in Death: Have You Read It?

I'm in tears. I'm crying. Sheesh, you guys must think I'm a sappy cryaholic, but ... man. I swear, I'm really crying.

Over a mystery, for god's sake.

My God, have you read the latest J.D. Robb? I don't know how Nora does it. How, after twenty-three books, can a series have any deeper to go?

She managed, yet again, to dig deeper.

Nora Roberts is my hero.

Which sucks, because that means I can never meet her. I'd probably just break down and bawl or something.

I was going to say something intelligent about the book. I was going to point out all the evidence of her genius. I was going to rave about the technique and the skill and the craft.

But fuck. I have to go to bed so I can get up early and write. I've got twenty years of writing and a hundred and some more books to write before I can even dream of being half as good as her. Geezuz.

14 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 3/16/2007 06:32:00 AM  

Spy, we ALL know that Nora is an alien life form with six brains, four sets of arms and a time machine that turns a 24-hour day into 48. Since the rest of us only have one brain, two hands and no time machine, we just have to plod along as best we can. Have faith. You'll get there. We all will.

Rhonda Stapleton 3/16/2007 07:07:00 AM  

WOW, I've never read a Nora book. Guess I should get going on it, if they're that good, eh???

Bernita 3/16/2007 08:21:00 AM  

But did you like the book?

spyscribbler 3/16/2007 10:12:00 AM  

LOL, starving. We'll try, at least. Man.

You're kidding, Rhonda! Start with something in the late nineties/or 2000s. She was still learning her craft in the eighties (the talent was ALL there, though). I just can't believe that after 24 books, she can still grow the characters. Amazing!

I loved it. Wow, I just loved it, Bernita!

Kate S 3/16/2007 10:33:00 AM  

Thanks for the review, Spy. I'll have to check it out. I've never read any of her JD Robb books.

Therese 3/16/2007 10:57:00 AM  

Nah, Spy, go ahead and start dreaming of approaching her talent--after all, you have her best stuff to learn from (which will speed your process), whereas she had to forge the path herself!

Don't know, though, if any of us can dare to dream of being as prolific. For that we'll need those extra body parts and time machine. :)

Susan Helene Gottfried 3/16/2007 11:12:00 AM  

You and me both, Spy. We'll get there if we plug away.

And yes, Nora really is that good. Damn, but I wish I'd been able to fulfill my childhood dream that essentially turned me into her. Funny, I didn't even know who she was at the time. But I knew I wanted to be THAT good, THAT prolific, and THAT successful.

Anissa 3/16/2007 11:19:00 AM  

I'm way back in the series...around number 8. It's been a couple years. Guess I need to get back into them! She is unbelievable, isn't she? The Nora.

gabriella hewitt 3/16/2007 11:33:00 AM  

Hmmm.. maybe I should revisit the series. I had to give up after a time. The woman is too prolific to keep up.

And I met her twice.The first time in college and I did an interview for the school newspaper. So I acted professional. The second time at RWA, and I was a complete groupie. Go figure!

Avery 3/16/2007 09:28:00 PM  

"I've got twenty years of writing and a hundred and some more books to write before I can even dream of being half as good as her. Geezuz."

I read other writers' work and think, "Wow, they're good." Then I let it go. I guess I figure the only worthwhile comparison one can make is to oneself. I can love another author, I can envy her, but at the end of the day it's only me reflected back in the mirror.

spyscribbler 3/17/2007 12:02:00 AM  

Kate, you're in for a treat.

LOL, Therese. It's not so much that I want to be as prolific, it's that I'll need as much practice ... which I guess would lead to being prolific, LOL!

Susan, I'm with you on that one!

Oh, Anissa, I wish I were you! I wish I had 16 glorious books waiting! I'd make a week of it!

LOL, Gabriella. What's she like, in person?

Avery, that sounds healthier. In the end, though, I'm inspired by people better than me.

Oh heck, I just love books. I'm inspired by anyone that writes.

Michele 3/17/2007 11:39:00 AM  

Hey Spyscribbler,
Nora is my hero, too! She saved my life--literally--at the RWA Conference in Reno. I could've been decapitated if she hadn't acted quickly. LOL! Man, I was soooooo embarrassed. So, of course, I blogged about it back in June of 2006 on The Writer's Vibe. Nothing like sharing one's embarrassment with the entire Internet. ;-)

And yes, I've read everything she's written as well.

But I've got to say, she gets a big thumbs up from me as a human being!

writtenwyrdd 3/18/2007 01:36:00 PM  

I've never read her, not interested when I read the backmatter. But I hear she's really good and I'm glad she's getting such praise from her fans.

spyscribbler 3/21/2007 12:22:00 AM  

Wow, Michele! Actually, I remember reading that story of yours! That is so cool. :-)

Writtenwyrdd, she recently had four of her books made into movies. I have to say that when you take away her storytelling and expose the plot all by it's lonesome, it's a skeleton that's not that intriguing in our high concept world.

But when you read one of her books, you'd never know the plot isn't high concept or immediately compelling. She is all heart with her characters, and the way she tells a story is ... well, let's say that she's about the only person I can read now and NOT analyze and dissect. I just can't. She pulls me into the story and that's it.

*sigh*

When's the next Nora coming out, again?