Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Men Write Better than Women?

It started the other day. I was working on a website, and asked DH if he thought it screamed females only, no men please. He kind of wish-washed back and forth between giving me an honest reply and one that would net him dinner that night.

The gist of it was, he thought a man wasn't likely to pick up a book written by a woman unless ... what was it? He was coerced or persuaded?? This from a ex-SF guy who reads romances?

I let it slide. Family peace and all that.

But then, when Taro Galsomino posted "Read Like A Man," I found myself getting irked. I choked on my chocolate when I read this:

For my money, I think the reason why I’m often drawn to “men’s” books these days is because of the intelligence factor.
And this:
Sadly, I just don’t see the same amount of brainpower in the female-penned novels available today ...
I was glad to read the response of the esteemed Jane of Dear Author, until I read this:
One reason is because I think that true love is best between equals. But to say that the men do it better is not only inaccurate but demeaning.

We romance bloggers may complain about the genre we love, but love it we do because we know that intelligence comes from the heart, not just the head.

What, females can't have intelligence from the head? Okay, I know she misspoke. She had to.

Ugh. I'm trying to comment, and ... I just can't. I'm too annoyed at all of it. I suppose this is why stereotyping is such a bad idea. I'll comment with y'all in the morning. :-(

9 bonus scribbles:

meljean brook 3/07/2007 02:09:00 AM  

I read Jane's response differently -- that when she says "not just the head" that she means there is an emotional intelligence and a more analytical intelligence. Not that intelligence doesn't come from the head, but that it's both.

StarvingWriteNow 3/07/2007 07:29:00 AM  

I agree with Meljean, and lucky for us women that we have both!

As for the other guy... well, I'll be nice and say that he wrote what he meant to say very badly. I'd like to think he meant that novels written by men tend to focus more on the intellectual premise rather than an emotional one. That women, perhaps, put a bit too much heart in their work for his taste.

Of course, he could also just be a jerk, in which case I recommend you boycott his blog.

StarvingWriteNow 3/07/2007 07:40:00 AM  

Okay, I just read the links and realized this is a woman demeaning the intelligence of fellow women. How disappointing, and how unfortunate that a former editor of RT apparently needs to cut down romance now that she's no longer with them. She sounds like one of those "I only did romance until I became a REAL writer/reader/editor" types.

BOYCOTT! BOYCOTT!

Bernita 3/07/2007 07:44:00 AM  

Is he just trying to stir things up?

crowwoman / rhian 3/07/2007 08:08:00 AM  

i saw that over at May's blog. Milady insane said: "She’s (Tara)generalizing! It’s exactly the kind of thing people who think romance is formulaic would say. I cannot believe that she’s an ex-managing editor for the Romantic Times."

I'm still hot over that whole idiocy. And I agree with May that it's comparing Aplles and Oranges.

spyscribbler 3/07/2007 10:20:00 AM  

This is true, Meljean. But she doesn't support the fact that women are capable of 'head intelligence,' and that's what bothered me. She does make a good case for why emotional intelligence is every bit as important as head intelligence.

Starvingwritenow, that's totally what got me. This is a woman! A woman talking! How can she betray her gender like that?

spyscribbler 3/07/2007 10:23:00 AM  

LOL, Bernita. Maybe. Stirred me up, because he's a she. Grrrr!

Rhian, you mean comparing romances to thrillers? That's an excellent point. It's like comparing cozies to thrillers. Evanovich to Gayle Lynds. It has nothing to do with intelligence, or the fact that we're talking about a man or a women.

Jane 3/07/2007 11:15:00 PM  

You should always feel free to disagree with me, even rant at me because I always believe that discourse can lead to greater understanding. It helps me to examine myself and my own opinions.

I did address primarily emotional intelligence because I wanted to counter the idea that intelligence is primarily deductive reasoning or brain power as theorized by Ms. G (whose last name is hard for me to spell).

Of course I believe that women and women writers have head intelligence, but it wasn't the thrust of my commentary.

spyscribbler 3/07/2007 11:22:00 PM  

I just cut and paste her last name, Jane. :-) It helps, LOL!

Like I said, you make a great point about emotional intelligence. I don't feel like ranting, though. Takes too much energy. :-)

Funny how something just steps on your button one day, and the next day ... it doesn't seem to matter. Thanks for popping by, Jane!