Thursday, March 08, 2007

Soup and Rules

I almost feel like apologizing for this post.

But. I do bring it back to writing in the end.

Kinda.

I love homemade soup. Ohmigosh, I swear, it's the best thing since chocolate, and if you know me, you know that's saying a whole lot.

Before DH came to live with me, I made a huge pot of soup every week, and ate it all week. I tried all sorts of soups. My favorite?

Matzo Ball Soup.

Except not precisely Matzo Ball Soup. First, I buy two boxes of the Matzo Ball & Soup Mix. Two packets of soup mix in 5 quarts of water.

Then comes the fun part.

I raid the 'frig, and throw in the old salad, old vegetables, and pretty much anything else that strikes my fancy.

Oh, and a bay leaf.

The making of the Matzo Balls is the best part, though. You can't make it according to directions. You have to make it with melted butter instead of oil.

Even if you have never loved Matzo Balls, you will LOVE them.

Throw a little white pepper in the mix and you've got heaven.

If you're keeping kosher, I'm sure the butter breaks all the rules.

Why is it that the yummiest things come from breaking the rules? (And don't you love I pretended this post had substance, by linking to Allison Brennan's article on breaking the rules in fiction? *grins*)

15 bonus scribbles:

Anissa 3/08/2007 11:39:00 PM  

I've never had Matzo Ball soup, but this sounds yummy to me!

And hey, thanks for the link!

Darla 3/09/2007 07:23:00 AM  

Oh, yum. I think it's lunchtime. :)

Hey, you can't write on an empty stomach, and creative cooking can inspire creative writing--works for me.

Susan Helene Gottfried 3/09/2007 07:56:00 AM  

No, no, no. Using butter doesn't break all the rules (well, okay, it does 'cause you can't mix dairy and meat like that, even though they come from the same stupid cow).

USING MATZAH BALL MIX BREAKS THE RULES.

*snort*

Maybe I'll have the Tour Manager send you his recipe when we make them next month. Interested?

Kate S 3/09/2007 09:02:00 AM  

Thanks for the thinly disguised recipe post. ;) Yum.

spyscribbler 3/09/2007 09:43:00 AM  

Susan, I would definitely be interested! Especially since I discovered there was MSG in the broth mix. Any chance there's a way to make it without MSG?

Avery 3/09/2007 10:28:00 AM  

They put MSG in everything now. That, and sodium. There's probably enough in that mix to choke a horse -- I know there is in the canned Matzo soup I eat.

I need to start making my own from scratch; you just can't trust the crap they put into pre-packaged foods.

Erik Ivan James 3/09/2007 12:40:00 PM  

I love Matzo Ball Soup! When I liven in Philadelphia, there was this little Deli.....

Christa M. Miller 3/09/2007 01:34:00 PM  

Sadly, I'm off dairy until I stop nursing, or my baby outgrows his milk protein allergy. :( No butter for me. :(

However, one of my favorites is pasta e fagioli as recipe'd in "How to Cook Everything." That's a soup I can eat all week!!

writtenwyrdd 3/09/2007 02:15:00 PM  

Sounds yummy. I'm not a huge soup fan (unless I can add cheese) but a good dumpling sort of thing works!

PS I put the blog feed back just for you ;)

crowwoman / rhian 3/09/2007 03:05:00 PM  

i love homemade soups. I have a killer recipe from my german Oma that is so popular (and delicious) that a local caterer bribed me for the recipe. Takes two days to make though.

spyscribbler 3/09/2007 10:42:00 PM  

So true, Avery. I'm pretty "crunch-granola," according to a friend of mine, so I don't think I've had any for ages.

Rhian, that's it? What is it? What's the recipe? If it takes two days, it MUST be good!

Erik, I love those kinds of places!

Christa, I hear you. I've got an allergy myself. I usually ride the edge of having just a little, but not enough to fill up my lungs. As of today, I've toppled over the edge. But I'll be darned if I'm not going to finish my soup!

Yay, writtenwyrdd! I've missed reading your posts. I promise to pop by often!

Stewart Sternberg 3/10/2007 10:59:00 AM  

You have no idea how much I love motzah ball soup. Stepping away from my heritage as I have, I occasionally think about the foods I have given up just by being away from the culture. Time to go back and sample. But here is what I miss:

1) motzah ball soup
2) gefilte fish with horse radish, chopped liver and motzah
3) koogle
4) real Jewish bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon (lox)
5) seven layer cake

sigh

crowwoman / rhian 3/10/2007 07:49:00 PM  

the ingredients are all in my head passed down by word of mouth and practice. I have to write it out in the next few weeks to give to the caterer so i'll email it to you when i do - it's loooooonnnngggg recipe including separate recipe for spatzle noodles.

spyscribbler 3/11/2007 01:56:00 PM  

Oh, Stewart. But think: since you've stepped away, you can try matzo balls made with melted butter instead of oil! YUMMY!

Cake? SEVEN layer cake? Do tell!

Homemade noodles are the best, Rhian!