Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #7: How to Make Your Debut a Success

Okay, the title was a bit tongue in cheek, but the content is not.  Tim Maleeny's Stealing the Dragon is a fresh and original debut.  Gosh, and this year is a great year for debuts!  It's well-crafted storytelling, through and through.

I mean, who isn't crazy about a female ninja assassin?

It's the sort of book that makes you say, "Oh cool!  Now that's the kind of book I've been looking for!" 

Okay, it makes me say that.  But I bet you'll like it, too.

Thirteen Lessons in Making Your Debut a Success
  • 1.) How to be Fresh #1: Give a hard-nosed detective a sidekick who is a female ninja assassin.  He lives for honesty; she lives for justice.
  • 1.) How to be Fresh #2: Make said ninja assassin a lesbian
  • 3.) How to be Fresh #3: Keep said sidekick offstage--except for intriguing backstory--for three quarters of the book.
  • 4.) How to Break the Rules #1: Open with a dream that is backstory, too.  Talk about a double whammy.  Then use the scene to hint at a character so intriguing and mysterious, that you can't help but keep reading.
  • 5.) How to Break the Rules #2: Make a good half of the book in italicized backstory, but make it so interesting that you couldn't put it down if you tried.
  • 6.) How to Break the Rules #3: Write a hard-boiled mystery/thriller (whatever) that is half-told through the eyes of a child training to be a ninja assassin.
  • 7.) How to be Quirky #1: Describe fascinating sidekick as, "part demon, part heavenly spirit," (87) or "Dirty Harry in a leotard." (97)
  • 8.) How to be Quirky #2: Throw in an earthy reporter who will spend no more than three hours a day indoors and refuses to eat sugar.  
  • 9.) How to be Quirky #3: Add a computer genius called "Sloth," who is so good he's almost part computer himself.
  • 10.) How to be Original #1: Instead of Jack Bauer, try more exotic torture scenes: snake pits, locked rooms full of scorpions, ...
  • 11.) How to be Original #2: Cool martial arts tricks with somersaults and wooden swords.  They can be really cool in books, if described well.  (And they are in this book.)
  • 12.) How to be Gripping: Mix quirk and gore, love and death, loyalty and betrayal.
  • 13.) How to Prove Your Skill: Make me cry in public.  What a story!
And of course, I have to thank Mark Terry for reviewing this book.  His interview, Take 7 with Tim Maleeny, is equally fascinating.

28 bonus scribbles:

JohnH985 3/07/2007 11:08:00 PM  

Sounds like a very interesting book. I'll have to look for it.

Wylie Kinson 3/07/2007 11:43:00 PM  

Thanks for visiting my TT! In answer to your question about the 50 book challenge, -- a few of us are trying to read 50 books in 2007 (I got the idea from Jana Hanso, editor at Chippewa Pub and Freya's Bower, who did it last year).
There are no hard and fast rules - just read - novels, novellas, whatever genre you enjoy, and keep track of them on your blog.
Me, Amy Ruttan and Victoria Krain (links on my blog) are all doing it, and it's caught on with quite a few other bloggers. Wanna join?

Rashenbo 3/07/2007 11:44:00 PM  

Ooooo you've definitely got my interest! I am going to have to browse the bookstore for this little nugget. It sounds interesting on so many levels!

Great list!

Thomma Lyn 3/08/2007 12:09:00 AM  

Wow, what a neat-sounding book! How could I possibly resist Dirty Harry (Harriette) in a leotard? :)

Thanks for the heads up for what sounds like a fun read, and Happy TT! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Raggedy 3/08/2007 01:31:00 AM  

That sounds like a fabulous read!
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
Thank you for your visit.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Duchess 3/08/2007 05:52:00 AM  

Sounds like a good book and love the inside information about it.

Thanks for visiting me, especially for the first time. My template was done for me as a christmas present. I love it!

scooper 3/08/2007 07:19:00 AM  

Made you cry in public; great book for me.

Jane 3/08/2007 07:24:00 AM  

Sounds right up your alley.
Thanks for stopping by my T13.

Darla 3/08/2007 07:25:00 AM  

#14: impress SpyScribbler, who'll blog about it, prompting a whole bunch of us to go look for it. :)

I'm intrigued. I'm putting it on my list.

Christine 3/08/2007 07:29:00 AM  

Why have I not heard of this book before now? Wow!! I need to pick this up, it sounds awesome. :)

Susan Helene Gottfried 3/08/2007 07:42:00 AM  

Sounds pretty fresh and kick-ass. But... think the follow-up will be as good? That seems like a hard act to follow!

crowwoman / rhian 3/08/2007 07:48:00 AM  

Clutcing my hands to my chest and gasping - breaking rules?!?! Being Quirky? Being Original?? I LOVE YOU!!! really. This was awesome and I can't wait to read the book.

gabriella hewitt 3/08/2007 07:53:00 AM  

Wow! What a fabulous list. You've got me intrigued already. Not sure about all the italics but the lesbian ninja assassin sounds too cool for words.

Happy TT Day.

Stewart Sternberg 3/08/2007 11:10:00 AM  

Okay, I am going to go buy this. Can I get it through Amazon? I will go and check now. When I am done reading it...which probably won't be until some time after spring break...I will your praises.

writtenwyrdd 3/08/2007 11:26:00 AM  

Hmmm...Not sure about #10, although the rest of that sounds interesting. I mean, Indiana Jones did snakes and bugs and other tortures. Well, perhaps not tortures, but that's what I think of, anyhow.

I might have to read this. Have you read Eric Lustbader's ninja books? Those are really good.

Annie 3/08/2007 12:01:00 PM  

Sounds like a kick-ass book! Going to have to keep my eye out for it!

Anni 3/08/2007 01:46:00 PM  

Sounds great! I'll keep an eye out for it.

spyscribbler 3/08/2007 02:21:00 PM  

Thanks for stopping by, all!

Hey, anyone know why there's red X's in my Mister Linky?

Oh, Wylie, that's cool! Sure I'd love to join! Thanks!

Christine, it surprised me, too. You'd think it'd be on all the front tables, debuting with a bunch of fanfare. Nope. And it's a shame, because it's that good.

Susan, I had exactly the same thought. My inner writer piped up and said, "how in the world can one ever follow this up?!" His next comes out in October or November. I'll be interested to see how!

LOL, Gabriella. You mean all my italics are disconcerting, or just that I italicized lesbian? Sorry, inner writer freak coming out to play. :-)

Yes, Stewart. You can even click on the link above and it'll take you directly to Amazon!

Thanks, writtenwyrdd. I'm definitely in the mood for more ninja. I haven't read them, but I'm digging them up tomorrow, for sure!

Janet 3/08/2007 06:29:00 PM  

I HATE crying in public! Soooo embarrassing!

tim maleeny,  3/08/2007 08:25:00 PM  

spyscribbler, sorry I made you cry

I'm thrilled you enjoyed Stealing The Dragon so much...it was a fun (but challenging) book to write

in answer to your question, the second book in the series, Beating The Babushka, is a very different novel in terms of narrative structure...I wanted to write a worthy sequel but not write the same book over again...it deals with the Russian mob and their involvement in the movie business – you'll have to tell me if it lives up to your expectations

thanks again for taking the time to read my novel...best of luck with your writing

Jill 3/08/2007 10:07:00 PM  

this book sounds great... The crying part is a reason why I read almost only at home!! The first book that made me cry was Eric, the story of a leukimia boy..

Tink 3/09/2007 05:07:00 AM  

Sounds like a debut I want to check out, thank you for the tip!
Thanks for visiting my cat quotes TT.

Carmen 3/09/2007 08:38:00 AM  

isn't it great when you find an awesome book? For me, it's currently the Dresden Files. :)

Kunoichi Terminator 5/25/2007 02:56:00 AM  

Yes, many people love a Kunoichi. That's why Kunoichi can assassinate people by attracting them.

Don't be the next victim...

Anonymous,  4/28/2009 02:12:00 AM  

As a new player , you may need some game guides or information to enhance yourself.
wow gold is one of the hardest theme for every class at the beginning . You must have a good way to manage your World of Warcraft Gold.If yor are a lucky guy ,you can earn so many World of Warcraft Gold by yourself . But if you are a not , I just find a nice way to buy wow gold. If you need , you can buy cheap wow gold at our website . Go to the related page and check the detailed information . Once you have any question , you can connect our customer service at any time .


Making World of Kung fu Gold is the old question : Honestly there is no fast way to make lots of WoKf gold . Sadly enough a lot of the people that all of a sudden come to with millions of buy World of Kung fu Gold almost overnight probably duped . Although there are a lot of ways to make lots of cheap World of Kung fu Gold here I will tell you all of the ways that I know and what I do to buy World of Kung fu money.

yanhui 4/28/2009 04:22:00 AM  

I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have last chaos gold. He gave me some lastchaos gold, he said that I could buy last chaos gold, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some lastchaos money, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell cheap lastchaos gold to anyone who want.
Once I played 4story, I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have 4story Luna. He gave me some 4story Gold, he said that I could buy 4story Luna, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some 4story money, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell cheap 4story Luna to anyone who want.

Anonymous,  4/28/2009 04:28:00 AM  

Do you know the Archlord gold, in the game you need the
Archlord money. it can help you increase your level. My friends always asked me how to
buy Archlord gold, and I do not know he spend how much money to buy the
archlord online Gold, when I see him in order to play the game and search which the place can buy the
cheap Archlord gold. I am happy with him.
Do you know the cabal alz , in the game you need the
cabal gold. it can help you increase your level. My friends always asked me how to
buy cabal alz, and I do not know he spend how much money to buy the
cabal money, when I see him in order to play the game and search which the place can buy the
cabal online alz. I am happy with him.

sexy 4/28/2009 04:52:00 AM  

A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片情趣商品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣商品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣商品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品.情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,視訊聊天室,情趣,情趣用品,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣麻將,台灣彩卷,六合彩開獎號碼,運動彩卷,六合彩,遊戲,線上遊戲,cs online,搓麻將,矽谷麻將,明星三缺一, 橘子町,麻將大悶鍋,台客麻將,公博,game,,中華職棒,麗的線上小遊戲,國士無雙麻將,麻將館,賭博遊戲,威力彩,威力彩開獎號碼,龍龍運動網,史萊姆,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆第一個家,史萊姆好玩遊戲區,樂透彩開獎號碼,遊戲天堂,天堂,好玩遊戲,遊戲基地,無料遊戲王,好玩遊戲區,麻將遊戲,好玩遊戲區,小遊戲,電玩快打情趣用品,情趣,A片,AIO,AV,AV女優,A漫,免費A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色文學,色情,寄情竹園小遊戲,色情遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,色情影片,情趣內衣,情趣睡衣,性感睡衣,情趣商品,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室 ,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080苗栗人聊天室,080聊天室,視訊交友網,視訊借錢,黃金,黃金回收,黃金價格,黃金買賣,當舖,中古車,二手車A片,A片,成人網站,成人影片,色情,情色網,情色,AV,AV女優,成人影城,成人,色情A片,日本AV,免費成人影片,成人影片,SEX,免費A片,A片下載,免費A片下載,做愛,情色A片,色情影片,H漫,A漫,18成人,情色電影,自拍,成人電影a片,色情影片,情色電影,a片,色情,情色網,情色,av,av女優,成人影城,成人,色情a片,日本av,免費成人影片,成人影片,情色a片,sex,免費a片,a片下載,免費a片下載,成人網站,做愛,自拍A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人光碟18成人,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人影片,成人文章,成人小說,微風成人區,成人交友,成人文學,成人漫畫,成人遊戲,免費成人影片 ,成人論壇,愛情公寓,情色,色情網站,情色A片,色情小說,情色文學