Sunday, March 25, 2007

Would You Look At That?

Picture 240We live in a residential area, about two blocks from the town center. There are a couple trees, but any “woods” are a few blocks away.  We glanced out our window this afternoon, and a would you believe what we saw?

A wild turkey!

I’ve never seen one that close. I must’ve missed visiting the wild turkey cage in the zoo, or on the farm. I think I took at least 100 pictures. It allowed me to come closer and closer, and even made a cute chirping, gobbling sound when he got accumstomed to me.

I almost thought he was a pet. He certainly wasn’t scared. He could’ve Picture 212been sick, but … I don’t think so.

Isn’t that really cool? And on such a nice day, too! A day of warm spring, finally!

So how was your weekend? Anything interesting happen?

5 bonus scribbles:

crowwoman / rhian 3/25/2007 08:23:00 PM  

Wow - you got some great shots of the gobbler! I spent all day doing nothing more constructive than catching up on all the blogs. it was a great way to relax! I'm just kinda stunned that it's 6 hours later and i'm still moving through my list. Takes way more time than i realized!

spyscribbler 3/25/2007 11:23:00 PM  

It was pretty cool. We were scared of each other at first, even did a bit of strutting and hissing to scare each other.

But after we drew our boundaries, I could get pretty close without scaring him.

He did try to chase me off at one point. I asked myself what the heck I was doing backing up, planted my feet, and gave him an evil eye that had him backing up a step or two!

crowwoman / rhian 3/26/2007 06:50:00 AM  

heeeheeee! I can see it. Face-off with a turkey. You could always wave a meat fork in front of his face...errr beak.

Lori G. Armstrong,  3/26/2007 12:48:00 PM  

Hey, you know why he was posturing? Its turkey mating season. That's why his face is blue and his waddles are more prominent. Seriously. They puff up like that when they're trying to keep you away from their harem.

I live in town too (in western South Dakota) - and we've got a flock of over 100 turkeys making the most godawful mating racket you've ever heard. Wanna come over?

Susan Helene Gottfried 3/26/2007 10:33:00 PM  

Steele and I stopped dead in the middle of the road today so she could see the Joey and his harem. It must be spring; the turkeys are back!

Now if only one would run in front of my car so I could EAT him! Yummy!