Sunday, March 18, 2007

Write Hard and Spy

I wasn't going to post again today, but I just came across this post, Write Hard, at Sling Words.

I like these two best:

You must remember why you began writing in the first place - because you love putting words together.

You must remember why you write - because it is what you do; it characterizes who you are; it is a reward in itself.

I'm sorry I wasn't around for two days; I would've warned you, but I didn't know I was going to be gone so long! I've been researching hard, rather than writing hard. The story line is taking shape and I'm writing down snippets of scenes, but the research is overwhelming. I spent about thirteen hours on Friday and ten hours on Saturday.

When I haven't experienced something first hand, I'm obsessive with research. I need things to come to life for me so clearly that I feel like I'm part of that world, and I know how I would feel in that world, if I were my characters.

You know, ten years ago, it would've never been possible for me to write a spy novel. I think the CIA is on a propaganda/public relations mission, with all the fiction and non-fiction that's available the past year or two.

They need the boost.

Or do they? The other intelligence agencies of the government seem to be doing just fine without so many political problems. Are they more immune, linked as they are to the military? Or is it the nature of the political beast?

The rise in spy non-fiction and fiction could just be the upswing of public interest and popularity. They keep saying that it's the "decade of the spy" (again), but I keep saying it's the "century of the spy." I'm aiming for a long-term career, here ... LOL.

0 bonus scribbles: