Monday, April 09, 2007

Balance and Writing

Wow, the magic of the blogging universe is at work again.  I discovered a blog post about Balance over at Murderati.

I’ve been feeling a bit overwhelmed. I figured out that I work non-stop 14 hour days, every day, 7 days a week. Half of that time, I’m multi-tasking.

I need to change, LOL.

So what do you know, I head over to Murderati, and there’s a long comment trail of suggestions—I just love the way the universe works!

So here’s the thing: I’m thinking of cutting back and writing only four days a week. Can you see me cringing when I say that?

You see, Sunday, I already day job from 8 am – 9:30 pm, with only an hour break. Monday, I figure I need to take care of my pseudonym’s career, take care of various paperwork and business ickiness from my day job, and, um, work the day job! Tuesday – Thursday, I can write in the morning, day job in the evening. Friday, I can write all day. Saturday, I usually have to day job for half day. I usually write on Saturday afternoon-night.

But .. I’m wondering if I take half-day/day off on Saturday to re-energize, and focus my random to-dos on Mondays … will my writing time be more productive Tuesday – Friday?

Or will only writing 4 days a week be too little practice? And sadly, if I wrote like a crazy woman all the time, I’d probably be able to scale the day job WAY back.

I just don’t know. I just don’t think I can do the 14 hour/7 days a week thing to get there as soon as I’d like.

How do you balance things?

6 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 4/10/2007 06:30:00 AM  

I read an article recently that reported that people who multitask aren't as efficient. So apparently, though multitasking sounds cool, it's not effective.

How do I balance things? Well, not very good at the moment as I seem to leave myself very little time for writing. I work full time, cook & clean etc..., and drive son everywhere. So that takes up my daily time from Mon-Fri. Sat and Sun I feel like I'm playing catch-up all day. I, like you, must change this routine.

lainey bancroft 4/10/2007 10:30:00 AM  

Wow, Spy! No wonder you have such an energetic avatar. :)

Balance. Hmm, must confess, I'm chronically unbalanced. I work at home, so if the writing is flowing I am frequently guilty of letting my paperwork, housework...everything pile up while I hole up in my computer room. Which of course leads to weekends where I'm smooth-talking like crazy to convince the kids fluff and fold truly is 'quality family time'. "The family that launders together, laughs together." '

Ah, yeah. They didn't buy it either. :)

Susan Helene Gottfried 4/10/2007 11:23:00 AM  

Funny that this is coming up; there's a meme about it floating around right now. I got tagged with it last week, in fact, and turned it into my Thursday Thirteen.

For me, I do the best I can. Yeah, my writing gets short shrift. Yeah, my kids get short shrift. Yeah, my husband, my hobbies, this, that and the other thing. But I do the best I can, and I don't compromise in certain areas: going to the gym, for instance, is sacred. Yeah, I'd get more done but the physical mess I'd become isn't worth it.

All you can ever do is your best, and so long as you're always striving for your best in everything that you do, no one can ask for more.

Hang in there. And give the new schedule a try; what have you got to lose by trying? If it doesn't work, you can change things up again.

spyscribbler 4/10/2007 03:26:00 PM  

I read something similar, Starving. I think the gist was people who multi-task are more frazzled, stress, and prone to burn-out. Not that I would know anything about that ... *grins*

Hah, Lainey! That's really funny! I've been trying to convince DH the same thing. I do actually enjoy the laundromat, though. Something about the sound relaxes me.

Susan, you know, I've seen this topic crop up so much that I've been wondering if it's some astrological thing. Maybe things will improve soon! And so true: it's not like I'm making a life long comittment! I can change my schedule anytime I want, LOL. Fancy that!

Anissa 4/10/2007 05:40:00 PM  

Balance? So that's what I'm missing. Half the time I feel like I'm running around without my head. The other half I'm tripping over the toys I didn't get around to picking up. ;)

If you find the secret... please share.

spyscribbler 4/10/2007 06:24:00 PM  

I'm dying for the secret! If I find it, I will certainly share, Anissa! :-)