Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Cool Tool! And Crisis in Darfur ...

Okay, I’m sorry to keep talking about this, but I can’t help it.

Remember how I told you Google Earth is the coolest thing since chocolate? How you can even see your house (fuzzy, though), check out the roads and have a detailed picture of any setting you’d want to write about? (If it’s current and … erm, real.)

Well, if you click to Africa, there’s a little box. Click on it, and you’ll get an in depth view of all the villages that have been destroyed and damaged, and all the refugee camps.

And there’s pictures. Horrible, horrible pictures. Those’ll make you cry. Guaranteed.

If you want to something, and can only do a little teensy bit like me, there’s a $1 piece of the darfurwall.org.

1947

3 bonus scribbles:

jason evans 4/10/2007 11:20:00 PM  

Do you happen to know how often Google Earth is updated? Usually, it's only every few years, which is kind of a drag, but maybe this is more often.

Thanks for your visit today!

Stewart Sternberg 4/11/2007 12:34:00 AM  

Many years ago I attended a Krystalnacht event...that is the evening in Nazi Germany when the Jewish ghetto was invaded by marauding gangs. The term means Breaking Glass.

At that event I remember listening to the speaker talk about the horror of genocide...but his words were about the past. I became outraged. If we focus on the Holocaust in Nazi Germany and turn a blind eye to all the murder being done around us then we dishonor the dead of those people we sought to honor. We also abandon our souls.

Our lack of involvement in Darfur, and the lack of involvement from the world speaks volumes to the greed that motivates or in Darfur's case, the apathy toward the impoverished.

spyscribbler 4/11/2007 01:13:00 AM  

Jason, I don't know, but I'm curious! I know I was looking at Darfur/Sudan/Chad about two weeks ago, and I couldn't see half this stuff so clearly and so close. This particular area has been updated lately, I'd guess!

Stewart, you're right. It's good to remember the past, but when it's happening in the present, it's better to remember the present problems. Africa breaks my heart. Honestly. Such a beautiful country, and everyone wants a piece of their resources, seemingly at the cost of the people. It's horrifying.

We all know about the holocaust in Germany. Why don't we all know about Dafur? And how can humans do this to other humans? That's what I don't understand. Why can't they see and feel the pain they're causing?

(Btw, this particular Google Earth project was created by the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.)