Monday, April 16, 2007

What is Beauty?

A few weeks ago, I left an insane comment on someone's blog about the beauty of storms. Afterwards, I thought, how stupid! These storms can kill! I just accidentally did it again, at Therese's blog. Am I insane? They had a window break in their house, and if they had been sitting one room over, they would've spent the night in the emergency room!

What is wrong with me? I see this picture, and ... I just get that feeling, that awed, ohmigod feeling. I see the picture. I see that lives, homes could be destroyed, and yet I can't tear my eyes away. That twister is amazing. Breathtaking.

Why was the movie Twister so amazing? Why did the sight of that tornado make me gasp at ... its beauty? Its horrible, terrible, beauty?

All I can think is, how inappropriate.

It's like looking at the ocean. I mean, look at this picture. That's a wave. That's a wave. That's a wave that can kill, that's a wave that can devastate a whole network of people who love the person who could be crushed by its power. Why do I find that beautiful?

I'm dying to learn how to surf (kind of hard with the ocean thousands of miles away, LOL). I'd love (and would probably pee my pants) to see a twister up close (and yet far enough away to be safe). I love sitting on the porch in storms, the wind and rain biting me while thunder and lightning crash all over the place. I feel so alive and awed and excited, all rolled into one.

Am I absolutely insane???

11 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 4/16/2007 04:43:00 PM  

Nature is beautiful and terrible at the same time. It's not inappropriate to marvel at the beauty of something potentially dangerous. It's human.

Rhian / Crowwoman 4/16/2007 06:03:00 PM  

well yeah. you're insane. but that's what we love about you. Because most of us are too. I've always found storms exciting, especially summer storms. And one of the coolest things i've ever seen was a water spout/funnel chasing us while we were crossing a long bridge in Florida. It was so freaking cool.
I think terrible beauty is a great word for it. Kinda like fire - so amazingly beautiful with such deadly potential.

raine 4/17/2007 12:26:00 AM  

Not insane at all, I usually feel the same way.
I've tried to analyze it, but all I've come up with is pretty much what you've described.

It's raw power, elemental energy, nature at it's most extreme. And yes, it's deadly, but also beautiful.
I remember watching the film "Twister", and observing the storm chasers and thinking "Gawd, I'd love to do something like that!"
My friends all thought I was nuts.

spyscribbler 4/17/2007 12:51:00 AM  

You're right, Starvingwritenow. Now let's hope we have no storms to marvel at this weekend!

LOL, Rhian. :-) My boyfriend in college used to call me 'Crazy Girl.' Wait a sec, is that one of those things you're not supposed to mention? The analogy to fire is a good one. I've been known to play with candles for hours!

Raine, it's nice to know I'm not the only one! I thought the same thing of the movie!

You know, some days the world seems like a pretty cool place.

Rhonda Stapleton 4/17/2007 08:02:00 AM  

I agree--there's nothing insane about finding nature beautiful, even in its scariest moments! I feel the same way.

Bernita 4/17/2007 09:29:00 AM  

No, you are not.
You separate cause and effect.

Erik Ivan James 4/17/2007 11:57:00 AM  

I had my shit blown away by a tornado in the middle of one night a long time ago. That was a bad night. ~smiling~ I'm no longer fascinated by them.

Therese 4/17/2007 12:09:00 PM  

What Bernita said.

And as I said to you on my blog, I'm fascinated by these things too--even with the close call (which is not my first, I should add)!

It's not irresponsible to find these phenomena exciting. Clearly you're a sensitive, caring human being who simply appreciates Nature's power. :)

avery 4/17/2007 01:06:00 PM  

We're balanced pretty precariously on this spinning orb. It's good to step back once in a while to admire what it's capable of, and remember just who is actually in control.

spyscribbler 4/17/2007 04:31:00 PM  

Glad to know I'm not alone, Bernita and Rhonda!

Yeesh, Erik. Scary. The closest I ever came was in the midst of a woods, so I couldn't see it. I mostly remember the sudden quiet where we all looked at each other and held our breath. Then it was okay.

Aren't you sweet, Therese? I'm so glad your family is okay.

Avery, that is SO true. We think the world revolves around us, but we're a bit like a cancer to the earth. Eventually one of us is going to win. If we kill earth, we kill ourselves. If earth kills us, we're dead, LOL.

writtenwyrdd 4/20/2007 04:20:00 PM  

Nature is always beautiful, even when it's terrible.