Monday, April 30, 2007

Writing Today

Every day, I go to Borders, order some tea, select a few "friends" (novels) to keep me company, and I sit down and write.

I usually order this yummy white tea flavored with berries that smells like homemade blueberry muffins. Yum! It’s this golden, clear tea color--very pretty.

They have new pots and glasses which are also clear, so you can study the way the sunlight shines through the tea.

When you drizzle honey into the tea (also a pretty, clear, golden color), you can see it settle to the bottom in pretty little ripples. On the bottom of the cup, it winds in a mass of curls, even more golden than the tea.

What’s weird is, when I stir the honey, the tea suddenly takes on this milky, pale gold.

Clear tea + clear honey = milky tea.

Weird.

That about sums up my writing day today. How I managed an excruciating 500 words, is beyond me. It’s at that point, where I’m feeling a little lost. I need to organize all the words, outline, and then keep going.

I prefer that to happen around 15 - 20,000 word mark. Probably not a good sign it’s happening at the 10,000 word mark.

Boring writing day, boring blog post. Ugh. On to more interesting matters:

How’s your writing going? Your reading? Your day?

8 bonus scribbles:

Karen Olson 4/30/2007 02:51:00 PM  

No writing yet today. Got home from the day job an hour and a half ago, ate lunch, read some of Antonia Fraser's Six Wives of Henry VIII, cleaned up the kitchen and am checking email and blogs. My daughter gets home in 15 minutes and while she does homework, I hope to eek out 1,000 words or so. Just another day...

Susan Helene Gottfried 4/30/2007 07:22:00 PM  

I wound up having a very good writing day. My daughter had a friend over, then went over to another friend's house afterward and I got a TON done.

Sadly, my printer seems to have died between yesterday and today, though.

Therese 4/30/2007 07:57:00 PM  

Spent today on two small-but-important revision tasks, and feel good that my publisher took the time to read AND THINK ABOUT my novel while there's still time to address even the smallest of potential issues!

The collaboration that happens even this long after the sale is very cool.

But my wip is stalled, temporarily, which is not as cool. :)

The honey-and-tea thing is VERY cool!

Therese 4/30/2007 07:59:00 PM  

Oh--that is to say, my actual publisher i.e. RH's biggest boss (as opposed to my editor, who darn well has to read and address stuff)!

Brett Battles 4/30/2007 08:53:00 PM  

I'm sorry...we're supposed to be writing?

B.E. Sanderson 5/01/2007 09:04:00 AM  

Because I slacked off all weekend, my writing schedule is off and I'm still doing my weekend editing. I did manage to get past the halfway point for this round of edits, though. I did manage to read a lot over the weekend though. If you haven't read Tutu Deadly by Natalie M. Roberts, I recommend it.

Bernita 5/01/2007 09:18:00 AM  

This sounds familiar. I'm stuck at the 14,000 word mark.
The Librian complex- can't make a decision until I weight everything.

spyscribbler 5/01/2007 03:21:00 PM  

I hope it went well, Karen! How is Six Wives?

Bummer, Susan! About the printer. But yay on the writing day!

I don't know how you guys write with kids. You're amazing!

LOL, Therese. That's really cool, you know! Really cool!

Hah, Brett! I hope you are! I'm getting impatient for your second book, and your first book hasn't even hit the shelves yet! This book business is Way. Too. Slow.

LOL, Bernita! I love Librans. Except I hate my indecision. Hate it. But I bet it makes a better story, with the careful weighing and balancing of plot possibilities!