Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Dem Writing Days

B.E. Sanderson (her blog’s great, by the way, if you haven’t been) asked yesterday if I’d read Natalie M. Roberts’ Tutu Deadly. I just want to say, yes! If you like cozy mysteries, you’ll love this refreshing setting of murder in the ballet world of over-competitive moms and their precious dancing prodigies. Heck, if you teach, or if you have kids in dance, you’ll love it, too. I have no doubt this series is going to have a solid following.

So ... (insert graceful transition, LOL)

Do you write in cycles? How do the words come out for you?

I’m just curious if I’m weird or normal. I don’t mind being either. Yesterday was what I call "grinding," to borrow a poker term. Little by little, word by word, I grind the words out.

Some days, I have "dialogue days," where all that comes out on the page are these talking heads doing nothing but conflicting with each other in words.

And then some days are "story snippet days," where flashes of story come out in little tiny bursts of ideas, but the words, um, don’t write. I can only take notes.

The rarest of all are what I call "writing days." I love these days. I sit down, and what comes out on the page is real writing. You know, vivid (or so I think) description, coherent sentences ... flow. I sit back and think, okay, that’s writing.

I like those days best.

6 bonus scribbles:

Susan Helene Gottfried 5/01/2007 06:26:00 PM  

I have days where it's easy and days where it's hard, and that's about it.

I think it'd be neat to have your writing process, though. I'm boring.

spyscribbler 5/01/2007 09:55:00 PM  

LOLOL ... see, being the typical self-absorbed only child, I figured everyone had the same process as me.

But yours is interesting to me!

~A:F~ 5/02/2007 08:12:00 AM  

I'm starting a writing course this weekend...I've written poetry for a while but am now starting short stories and a novel. My problem is that I can write intensly for two days and that not write for five, other than scribbling notes and ideas down on the back of envelopes. I'm looking forward to the course because my writing is not very disciplined and I need to pushed, which I think working with a group that give me honest feedback will help. I am determined to write every single day, even if some of it is rubbish! I seem to have to get that out of the way before I write things that I think are anygood.

I'm so glad to have found yours and Susan's blogs, it really helps hearing others talk about their writing! Thanks for the inspiration :)

B.E. Sanderson 5/02/2007 08:42:00 AM  

Thanks, spy. =o)

I have cycles, but there's no rhyme or reason to them. It depends on where I am in the story, and where my brain is at. Some days are better than others, and some scenes are so intense, I can't seem to get anything down but the dialogue.

Kate S 5/02/2007 01:06:00 PM  

Hey, Spy - we have the same process! Glad to know it's "normal" (I'm claiming it is since you do it too. That's solid reasoning there.) :)

Unfortunately, I haven't even been "grinding" lately though. Too many life distractions.

spyscribbler 5/02/2007 09:03:00 PM  

a:f, I love poetry. I'm a great admirer of poets; they're my inspiration. Good luck with your writing! And I hope the class helps. Susan's blog is a good one!

B.E., those are what I call "dialogue days." I know exactly what you mean!

Kate, I hope that life's distractions ease up for you! It's fun to hear someone with the same process!