Wednesday, May 02, 2007

He or She?

//static.flickr.com/161/439060423_f79a4201e3_mHave you ever noticed how picky some people are about whether you call their pet he or she? I’ve never understood this. We have two girls and two boys (cats), and we call them he or she interchangeably and without regard to their sex (or lack of).

I’ve even had people correct me when I call my he a she. Or my she a he. This always makes me laugh because, one, it’s my baby, and two, my cats could care less whether I call them a he or a she.

I always let guests call my cats he or she, whatever they please.

What about you? Do you have cats? Dogs? Any pets? They are such characters, aren’t they???

Check out Jason Pinter’s adorable, cutey-pie, wittle-bittle baby puppy!

9 bonus scribbles:

Stewart Sternberg 5/02/2007 02:02:00 PM  

I find that the question of "HE" or "SHE" is usually resolved when the name of the pet is given. My dogs are "LEO, BERNIE, and MATILDA". Now, if someone names their pet PAT or FRANCIS, then maybe there might be a hesitation.

avery 5/02/2007 02:16:00 PM  

My in-laws always call every animal a 'she.' It gets on my nerves for some reason. I'm not sure why. Like you said, the animal doesn't care. Still, I get annoyed.

I have five cats, all males: Jake (Elwood died a couple of years ago, so his name is less funny now), Max (uninspired), Sneezer (he had a sinus infection when we got him), and the brothers, Minister and Sid Vicious (another joke; Al Jourgensen of Ministry has a dog named Sid Vicious).

StarvingWriteNow 5/02/2007 02:47:00 PM  

I'm the only girl in a houseful of males, including the pets: Black Bart, Eduardo and Schooner. Long stories, all of them...

Liz Wolfe 5/02/2007 04:32:00 PM  

We have two cats, both male. And we just lost our 14 year old dog ast year. Seeing Jason's puppy makes me want another dog. Bad. Really bad.
Oh, and I met Jason at RT last week. He's just as cute as his dog.

spyscribbler 5/02/2007 08:52:00 PM  

LOL, Stewart. I didn't name my pets so kindly. But they don't seem to mind. :-)

Avery, do you think it's more a manifestation of the in-law thing, or an annoyance with the pronoun? ;-) I'm sorry about Jake!

I love male cats. So affectionate!

spyscribbler 5/02/2007 08:54:00 PM  

Wow, Starving. What is it with male cats? I love them, though! (Better than their human counterparts ... just kidding.)

You too, Liz? I'm sorry about your dog. They become such a part of your heart, you know?

Puppy! You must get a puppy! And then post TONS of pictures on your blog!

Bernita 5/03/2007 08:37:00 AM  

Two dogs: Cleo ( a shepherd) and Calvin ( a corgi).They plan things.
Once has a cat that looked like a walking soccer ball named Puss.
U had to stand on the stoop each night and call "Here, Pussy!"

John B 5/03/2007 02:47:00 PM  

Why can't people remember my cat, Mrs. Beasley, is a boy? I just don't get it...

spyscribbler 5/03/2007 04:27:00 PM  

Hah! Bernita, that's just funny. What do they plan??

LOL, John B. I don't get it, either!