Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Mystery Between the Ears

All my life, my brain has always been busy making up stories. All the time. In first grade, I almost failed because--even though I was at the top of the class in reading, spelling, and math--I would sit and stare out the window all the time. (Can we say ADD???) I would weave stories with casts of characters that would go on for years, LOL. I still remember snippets of some of them!

You can imagine how disconcerting it was to me when I discovered that everyone isn’t the same. Today, the dear Mister and I had this conversation:

"Whatcha’ thinking about," I asked.

"Nothing."

"That’s impossible," I said. "You have to be thinking about something."

"Why? I’m just driving. I’m not thinking about anything."

"Nothing? Your mind is just blank."

"Yes."

We drove in silence for awhile.

"Well, what were you thinking about?" he challenged.

"Two people were fighting about something."

He looked at me like I was crazy.

Well, am I? Or is this a writer thing, to have stories incessantly weaving in one’s head? Or do you think it’s a little weird to be sitting there and not thinking? To me, that’s a little frightening! Maybe it’s a guy thing.

14 bonus scribbles:

Megan 5/03/2007 04:13:00 PM  

I don't think you are crazy. I think in part it is a man/woman thing. My mind is always going, usually not creating stories, but thinking about how things work, what to do next, wondering what people around me are thinking. Most men I know aren't thinking about anything or are thinking about what they are immediately doing.

I think you are very lucky to have such a rich imagination. I am not very imaginative, I rarely prethink my writing. If something imaginative surfaces from me it is usually just formed during free writing.

Hope you are well.

StarvingWriteNow 5/03/2007 04:17:00 PM  

That's me too! The creative brain is ON, 24/7. Scenes are always flitting around, conversations happening...

And by the way, I like Adrian Brody because he's sexy in a non-hero, geek kinda way.

spyscribbler 5/03/2007 04:37:00 PM  

LOL, Megan. I like that. Next time the DH calls me scatter-brained, I'm going to tell him I just have a rich imagination. :-)

I find that trait in men utterly disconcerting. I don't know why, LOL.

LOL, Starving! A kindred spirit! And I was worried I was nutso, LOL. :-)

I liked him playing the piano, though!

Rhonda Stapleton 5/03/2007 06:53:00 PM  

Girl, you are NOT alone. I have lots of conversations in my head.

In fact, I've made up conversations with people I know, had the discussion go awry and turn into a fight, and then be mad at the real people, who had absolutely nothing to do with the argument in my head.

LOL--top THAT!!

spyscribbler 5/03/2007 07:01:00 PM  

Oh, me TOO! LOL! I know exactly what you mean!!!

I wasn't brave enough to admit it until you did, though! Go Rhonda!

Edie 5/03/2007 08:09:00 PM  

I'm going with Megan here. Ask almost any man what he's thinking and he'll say "Nothing." How they do that, I don't know.

I remember daydreams from when I was young. I flew in them, so I guess I had paranormal daydreasm, lol.

Susan Helene Gottfried 5/03/2007 08:24:00 PM  

I think it's a writer thing, not an ADD or gender thing.

If I didn't listen to my characters have conversations in my head, I'd nag myself to death.

spyscribbler 5/03/2007 08:39:00 PM  

But, Edie, are they really thinking nothing, or do they just not want to tell us what they're thinking???

Paranormal daydreams? That is WAY cool, Edie. I'm really missing out!

Nag yourself, Susan? LOL ... about what? I think I might know what you mean. I'd worry myself to death, that's for sure. Obsess about my problems, for sure!

Wait, I do all that, anyway.

StarvingWriteNow 5/03/2007 08:53:00 PM  

Men say they're thinking of nothing because they don't want to tell you what they're really thinking of: sex, boobs, playboy chicks, sex, mini skirts, thongs, f*** me shoes, sex...

Seeing a pattern here?

spyscribbler 5/03/2007 10:31:00 PM  

The mystery that is man ...

Maybe some things are better unknown, LOL!

Keris 5/04/2007 04:46:00 AM  

God, I'm so glad you posted this and it's not just me! :)

"In fact, I've made up conversations with people I know, had the discussion go awry and turn into a fight, and then be mad at the real people, who had absolutely nothing to do with the argument in my head."

Rhonda, I've done that too! LOL

In fact, I reviewed a book related to this recently ... http://tinyurl.com/2kaoum

It doesn't stop the creative thoughts, but it helps with the negative ones! :)

Therese 5/04/2007 10:08:00 AM  

Too funny! I've had this conversation with my husband too!

Of course, he *does* sometimes have stuff on his mind...

I don't think it's a gender thing, I think it's a personality thing. One of my best guy pals outthinks pretty much everyone I know. :)

spyscribbler 5/04/2007 06:20:00 PM  

LOL, Keris. So true!

I checked out that book. I absolutely must buy and read that book immediately! Thanks for the link!

LOL, Therese. Yeah, once in awhile my dear Mister has stuff on his mind, too. Not that often, though!

Bernita 5/05/2007 08:03:00 AM  

Not a gender thing.
Some people's thoughts are six-lane, other's a walkway.