Thursday, May 24, 2007

Pistachios and Requiem for an Assassin

I love pistachios. And almonds. Raw. (I only bore you with that because I have a deep and passionate love for food, and I’m thoroughly enjoying my munch on them right now.)

I have to confess, I’ve written about 200 words in the past two days. Pitiful, I know. But I couldn’t help it! Barry Eisler’s Requiem for an Assassin came out! I didn’t even stop writing for Nora’s, or J.D. Robb’s latest, and that’s saying something.

I’ve always promised not to bore you with reviews that don’t extract something about the writing process or craft, but ... I was sucked in right away. I was so thoroughly entertained, that I can only say:

Ohmigod, you gotta go read this book! What?! You mean, you haven’t read a John Rain book??? It’s got it all! Assassin, tradecraft, sexy women, richly fleshed-out and deep characters, and ... sex! Okay, and a dash of love here and there, too.

Even Miss Snark raves about Barry Eisler’s John Rain series. You think it’s a coincidence that she stopped blogging the week Requiem for an Assassin came out???

Methinks not.

(Hey! Did you see, in my post the other day? She stopped by and commented! THE Miss Snark! Can you believe it? Ohmigawd!)

The book--all his books--are a lesson in character and motivations, so ... go read them. Of course, if you want to go straight to the sexy bits, click over to Lustbite’s excerpt, plus an interview with Barry Eisler.

The title and the book seem to suggest this is the last one. I’ve heard murmurings in interviews and such, a few books back, that the series would end. In fact, the whole book feels like it’s tying up every loose end in the whole series.

I certainly hope not. I’d be crying my eyes out, more than I do when I hear Faure’s or Mozart’s Requiem!

0 bonus scribbles: