Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Resisting What We Need

Here’s about the best writing advice I’ve seen lately, courtesy of Agent X (who is she for real, again?)

In yoga, they sometimes say that we resist doing the poses we most need to do. A muscle in the state of inflexibility prefers to stay that way, thank you very much.

But those inflexible parts are the very parts we most need to make flexible.

I’m currently taking a course with AuthorMBA. Let me tell you, if you ever get a chance to take a course with Kay, do it! (The other ones I hear all sorts of great things about, but since I haven’t taken their classes, I can’t personally vouch for them.)

She has a habit of pushing us to do the work we resist, but I thank God for it every day. Her courses are so good, I can see me taking them once a year.

I’ve been shoving through my resistance with the Big N, and I’m starting to make headway. Phew, considering I only have about 10,000 words left to write on the Little N, and then I’ve really got to buckle down. No mental break this time!

I will love researching ... I will love plotting ...

So anyway, what do you resist, that you most need to do? How do you push yourself through it? Or do you get outside help?

6 bonus scribbles:

Stewart Sternberg 5/23/2007 06:32:00 PM  

I love to write...I even like editing. What I resist? Sending stuff out. It is a pain in the ass to market myself.

I have sold a short story to an anthology which hopefully will see publication this summer. I need to promote that book. It just embarasses me. I don't know why. I have two magazines in my house with my short stories in them. They are well hidden.

You know who really promotes well? Sidney Williams and Charles Gramlich. They hawk their wares with the best of them.

spyscribbler 5/23/2007 09:57:00 PM  

You gonna tell us which anthology, or do we have to drag it out of you? LOL!

I have no trouble hawking my wares with editors. (I doubt I'll have any trouble with agents, either.)

When it comes to hawking wares to readers? I'm a complete coward. I've got a little essay in an anthology this summer, too, and what have I done for it? It feels ... a little terrifying. With editors, it's business. With readers, it feels uncomfortable.

We must get on that, Stewart!

Bernita 5/24/2007 07:35:00 AM  

Dithapline, she lisped, sithapline.

avery 5/24/2007 10:41:00 AM  

What great timing with this post. I've written my plot outline after much tearing of hair, and have my query letter done. Now it's the detailed synopsis. I can't wrap my head around it. Yesterday I was up and down, walking in circles on my patio, coming back in and writing six lines of crap, only to go back out and pace in circles. I finally gave up when The Architect got home, and went out and pulled weeds. About a half an hour into it, clarity struck. I guess I just needed to empty my mind (you'd think that'd be an easy task with what little I have rattling around up in here). So, I guess for me it's good to stretch the inflexible parts, but only when I'm not fighting it.

spyscribbler 5/24/2007 03:04:00 PM  

LOL, Bernita. I have to admit I went to dictionary.com before I figured it out, LOL.

Avery, that's awesome. There is certainly something to be said for clearing the mind.

writtenwyrdd 5/27/2007 09:00:00 AM  

I love to write, I love to edit, I love to critique...but I hate getting started!! That's the big wall of resistance for me.