Friday, May 25, 2007

Who Are Your Heroes?

I collect heroes and inspiration, wherever I can find them, even more than I collect self-help books (LOL). I figure I can use all the help I can get, LOL. Do you have heroes? Who are your heroes?

//static.flickr.com/211/514096861_f2668f6c33_mTiger Woods is one of my all-time greatest heroes. I don’t play golf, but excellence is inspiring to me, wherever it’s found. What I love about Tiger is his dogged and continual pursuit of excellence. He works his ass off.

So today, strolling through Borders, I noticed the book, Tiger Traits, by Nate Booth. The whole book is well worth a read, but my favorite part was his section on the Four Stages of Mastery.

Unconscious Incompetence: When we first start an activity, we don’t even know what we don’t know. It’s that beginning stage of complete ignorance about what we need to know to improve.

Conscious Incompetence: This stage is when we know where we need improvement, but we don’t know how to get there, yet.

Tiger Traits: 9 Success Secrets You Can Discover From Tiger Woods to Be a Business ChampionConscious Competence: Finally, we can do it! But it doesn’t feel natural, it’s not automatic, and we have to think really hard about it.

Unconscious Competence: Best of all! This is where we feel it, and we feel it so naturally that it’s almost effortless, that we can do it without even thinking about it.

Tiger Woods said, "My body does the work, and I just sit back and let it happen."

I’m the worst at Stage Three. It’s why I kept writing novella after novella, plugging along even when it got messy. I need to feel the structure and the pacing and the story, in order to make the story any good. If I have to think it, then my rhythm is atrocious, my pacing flat.

So, practice. What else can you do? The Little N is threatening to be a novel. I have to cut it off and keep it short, but I’m glad it did that. It helps give me confidence with the Big N.

Now, your heroes. Who are they, why, and what have you learned from them? How have they inspired you?

On a cool note, fellow blogger Stewart Sternberg has a story, "The Others," coming out in the anthology, High Seas Cthulhu. Read about it here!

11 bonus scribbles:

Aimless Writer 5/26/2007 03:23:00 PM  

My heros are people like J.A.Konrath, Robert Gregory Browne, Mark Terry and all the other writers who kept at it till they succeeded and then reached down to help the rest of us. They inspire with their success, the way they give back and how they always have time for us peons.
You're inspiring too Spy Scribbler!

Bernita 5/27/2007 06:36:00 AM  

My heroes wear uniforms.

Keris 5/27/2007 09:20:00 AM  

My life coach (*cough*) told me about the four stages of mastery and it was a real "a-ha moment". I'm a nightmare at stage 2, I just Cannot Stand It. I'm too much of a control freak.

My heroes are anyone living their dreams. And Oprah.

Rhonda Stapleton 5/27/2007 11:13:00 AM  

Good question! I tend to view my friends/family as my heroes. I see how hard they work and support their family, and that's noble.

Loreth Anne White 5/27/2007 02:42:00 PM  

I've recently found and enjoy your blog :). I think I got here via JA Konrath's spot, and Murder She Writes ... and I'm a fellow Eisler devotee :) :) :)

My all-time absolute hero is Nelson Mandela. He had a vision -- a dream -- and he never gave up. When one approach didn't work, he tried another. He was proud, humble, bold, smart, patient. He suffered more than many men -- or women -- on this planet ever will. He was incarcerated the year I was born and released by the time I was close to 30 -- a lifetime. And after it all -- he was able to forgive.
And to lead with dignity.
A true hero.

spyscribbler 5/27/2007 09:37:00 PM  

Aimless, yes! I get so inspired reading their blogs. (And ... *blush* ... thanks!)

Bernita, definitely. I have no words.

LOL, Keris, I love Oprah, too! And anyone living a fulfilled life. There's a certain energy about them that's inspiring and intoxicating.

Rhonda, supporting a family is a heavy burden. Definitely hero-worthy!

Thanks for finding me, Loreth! I love your website--didn't I read you grew up in Africa? I've been researching Africa, and I keep thumbing past his biography, thinking I'm going to pick that up one day. I'm thinking better sooner than later!

Wendy Roberts 5/29/2007 10:27:00 AM  

I have a lot of heroes. Mostly, like Keris said, those who have the courage to follow their dreams are my heroes.

Great post!

avery 5/29/2007 03:57:00 PM  

My heroes are people who stop being afraid of 'What people will think,' and buck The System, people who have no use for conformity. I love Al Jourgensen of Ministry, because he's the hardcore master of going against the mainstream.

Stewart Sternberg 5/29/2007 04:38:00 PM  

My heroes are writers. What a surprise. Ray Bradbury. Kurt Vonnegut. I'm not saying they were heroic. I am not saying they moved mountains.

However, they made me think. And they provided something to millions of people, whether it was just a moment of peace, a smile, or the courage to do or say something they otherwise wouldn't.

spyscribbler 5/29/2007 10:39:00 PM  

Wendy, that's so cool. I have a stepbrother who just oozes fulfillment. It's inspiring!

Avery, given all our social conditioning, it's amazing that people grow to buck the system. To walk their own path and dance to their own tune. Definitely admirable!

Stewart, I love writers, too. LOL. I admire the heck out of the ones that have that ... that something extra and amazing. The kind you have to dig for, even in a big bookstore. They're really only one in several million.

Loreth Anne White 5/29/2007 11:41:00 PM  

Yes -- I've spent most of my life in Africa. If you ever have any questions .... :)