Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Plum Naked in a Bookstore

So I was wandering a new Borders, and I stumbled upon the anthology that has an essay of mine in it! It's OUT! Ohmigawd, I can't tell you how excited I was to see it!

Really, I can't.

It's too embarrassing.

It's just a little essay, so I don't have to act all cool and professional yet, right? I can be silly, and you won't mind? (I'm pretty sure you guys already think I'm half off my rocker, anyway.)

A little essay is nothing in the grand scheme of the publishing world. So it's absolutely ridiculous and childish that--after I got home and found my two free copies--I carried the book around with me, clutched to my chest, all night long. Last night, it sat on my book stand while I slept. Right now, it's sitting on the side of my desk. I even brought it to the ballgame.

The back cover has my REAL NAME on it, only TWO LINES away from THE JA Konrath!!! Yikes! And the last page of my essay has my REAL NAME mini-bio on it!

I've had several authors tell me that there is no difference between publishing under your real name and publishing under a pseudonym.

So. Not. True.

Completely not true. Not a shred of truth to that statement. Not even a nanospeck of truth! I've sold over half a million words. But these are the first 4,000 under my real name. I don't ever remember being this silly and foolish about anything else I've ever published!

And yet, I feel baby-butt naked. Embarrassed. I begged DH not to tell anyone. BEGGED him. I really meant it, too.

I was looking at it on the shelf in the cool, new Borders, grinning at it, and an employee came and asked if I needed any help.

I ran away!!!

Eegawds! (Don't tell anyone, please!)

I got this gig on a stroke of luck. Right time, right place, all that. Saw the little opening, jumped through it with both feet and enthusiasmed the editor into a 'yes.'

Speaking of the editor, she is AWESOME--Leah Wilson. Best editor I've ever had, by far.

Oh, the book? Perfectly Plum. Don't buy it to read me. (Please don't tell me if you read it! Unless you really liked it ...)

Buy it because it's a WHOLE BOOK of essays about STEPHANIE PLUM. And because, well, you know, JA Konrath has an essay in it. And a ton of other super and amazing authors contributed, too!

I've been a huge fan of the Stephanie Plum books, ever since I fell in heat with Ranger. Major drool. Is it really a contest?? Morelli vs. Ranger? I'm a Ranger girl, through and through. I want the Ranger t-shirt!

And someday, I want to grow up and be Lula.

PS: In between now and when I sell a novel, will someone please give me the manual on how to be a cool author?

15 bonus scribbles:

The Dark Scribe 6/13/2007 02:36:00 AM  

Mad, crazy props! Congratulations!!! I'll have to check out the book at work tomorrow :)

By the way, I think Konrath has that book on how to be a cool author. He was flaunting it when he came by our store last October (he may have the only copy, so be real nice when you ask him if you can borrow it).

Again...you're a goddess. Great work!

Keris 6/13/2007 07:04:00 AM  

Woo-hoo! Congratulations! I haven't seen a copy yet (tho I was very excited to receive the cheque yesterday LOL!).

Jennifer McK 6/13/2007 07:31:00 AM  

Why would you want to be a "cool" author? Look how much fun you're having!
What an awesome post. It DOES make you feel naked. A pen name almost feels like I can hide, pretend. Under my REAL name, it's me. The unadulterated, unprotected me.
I think this is terrific for you. Congratulations.

Rhonda Stapleton 6/13/2007 07:53:00 AM  

OMG That is SOOOOOO COOOOOL! I can't WAIT to see it!!! :D CONGRATS!!!

Therese 6/13/2007 10:15:00 AM  

Ha, what manual?! Guess I missed getting it at Author Orientation too!

Many, many congrats on the book's appearance. I hope is sells a zillion copies (you will get royalties, right?) and launches your career like a rocket. :)

Michele 6/13/2007 11:50:00 AM  

Hey, congratulations! That's really cool! I know it's going to do well...I keep hearing people talk about about it. :-)

Congrats!!

Michele

Kate S 6/13/2007 12:19:00 PM  

Congratulations, darlin'. :) Doing the happy dance for you.

spyscribbler 6/13/2007 01:25:00 PM  

DS, I think you're right about that, that's for sure!

Keris, I laughed when I read your essay! I LOVE it!

Jennifer, exactly! I feel completely naked without my pseudonym!

spyscribbler 6/13/2007 01:28:00 PM  

Thanks, Rhonda, Michele, and Kate. :-) Yeah, the other contributors were awesome. It's definitely be a good one!

Thanks, Therese! I'm not sure it's exactly a career-launcher, but I do get royalties. Teensy, tiny royalties, LOL.

Bernita 6/13/2007 02:29:00 PM  

Heart-busting enthusiasm is nicer than "cool!"

StarvingWriteNow 6/13/2007 02:34:00 PM  

You don't need no stinkin' manual. You're already cool.

spyscribbler 6/13/2007 04:10:00 PM  

Totally blushing here, Bernita and Starving. :-)

FunkyMunky 6/14/2007 09:37:00 PM  

I'm from England and have just discovered your blog. Unfortunately I haven't heard of Stephanie Plum, but I'm intrigued, so will be visiting Amazon in the morning to look for it.
Congratulations on having your work published - it doesn't get much cooler than that!!

Brenda Scott Royce,  6/18/2007 04:08:00 PM  

Hello from a fellow Plumthologist. I, too, am squealing with excitement at seeing the book finally in print and being in the company of such fine fellow authors!

Congrats!

Keris 6/21/2007 12:20:00 PM  

Thank you! I haven't read any of it yet (I've got it now). I'm too scared...