Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Squeal for Star Trek!

I’m a Trekkie, I admit it. I’ve watched every single episode, save the latest Enterprise series. (Never caught on with me. I keep meaning to watch the re-runs, but ...)

I’ve already gotten excited that J.J. Abrams is going to direct the 11th movie, but look at what Orci (one of the writers) said in an interview at SciFi Wire:

Is the Trek movie being eyed as the kickoff of a possible TV series? "I’m sure CBS is thinking about that," he said. "That’s not [something] we’re thinking about. We’re just thinking about the movie. Certainly, I don’t know how they could not think about that."

Okay, it sounds like a long shot, but ... it’s shot, isn’t it? Isn’t that just the coolest? I would LOVE for there to be another series as good as DS9, TOS, Next Gen, or Voyager. Or better than, would suit me just fine.

Are you a Trekkie, too?

6 bonus scribbles:

The Dark Scribe 6/19/2007 06:31:00 AM  

Not a trekkie, but as a kid I used to gobble up episodes of Next Generation like food. Mostly I'd watch it in my grandpa's study when I'd visit their place in Arizona, because they only got three channels and everyone else was watching something like Poirot on PBS.

I was briefly into DS9, but either the show didn't last, or I gave up.

I remember two episodes of Next Gen that totally freaked me out, too. One was called Schizms or something like that--where Riker keeps getting abducted--and the one with the worms in the teleporters. Just flat-out scary!

Bernita 6/19/2007 07:31:00 AM  

I enjoyed Next and Voyager, not DS9 or Enterprise - and not slavishly.

StarvingWriteNow 6/19/2007 11:09:00 AM  

The original, in all it's camp, is still the best to me.

Sparky Duck 6/19/2007 12:18:00 PM  

I admit to being a TNG Trekkie only. But, I would be concerened about a Abrams directorship, after seeing Mission Impossible 3

Rob Brooks 6/19/2007 08:40:00 PM  

I used to be a huge Trekkie, and I still enjoy it, but I've gotten away from it over the years. I didn't realize what a good show DS9 was until I started watching it in reruns. The episode "The Visitor" is one of my favorite TV episodes ever. Check it out some time.

I love most of JJ Abrams's work, but I am a little concerned that his vision for Star Trek might turn it into just another action movie. Star Trek at its best always tried to be relevant to the current culture, providing a commentary on it, as science fiction was intended to do. Not just shooting and time travel and aliens.

I remember seeing Sylar from Heroes way back on Season 2 of 24--he was a regular that season. When I saw that season, I thought, "Wow, he'd make a great Spock if they ever decided to do a Star Trek prequel." Now they're doing the prequel and Zachary Quinto has even said that he would like to play Spock. I hope he gets it! He did a fantastic job as Sylar.

Meg,  6/27/2007 04:55:00 AM  

Great - just as I'm coming out of my post-24 withdrawal, I find that I have to wait for a new Star Trek movie...