Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Depression and Writing

Today at Working Stiffs, Kristine blogged about being depressed. It’s a topic I’ve heard a lot about, lately. Some author said that PAN workshops were only sitting around and talking about depression and writing (Um, no one will tell me what the PAN workshops are, except one person. The one who did certainly mentioned much better workshops than that!), and someone else has blogged about it recently.

Do you get depressed?

I never really realized I don’t, until I did.

Sure, when you’re plunging the depths of a character’s worst moment, when you’re both living in her shoes and heaping obstacle after obstacle on her, it can get exhausting and depressing.

At that point in the book, I need to step away and remember that MY life is not that bad, LOL.

But since DH went away (only 44 more days!), I’ve been sad. By six, seven o’clock I have to go home, because I just can’t keep my public face on anymore. By nine o’clock, I have to crawl in bed, hugging my teddy bear to my chest because it just hurts too much, missing DH.

I fully recognize it’s silly, and that I should be stronger. I know he’ll be back. I know he’s fine. I know I’m fine. I just don’t understand why I can’t turn off those sad feelings.

What do you do, when you’re depressed? Do you ever get depressed?

5 bonus scribbles:

Sparky Duck 7/25/2007 11:34:00 AM  

It all depends. Sometimes I get depressed at my place in life. When that hits I need a drive and a loud Ipod. Sometimes I just get these odd mood swings that I link to being depressed. Bourbon usually cures that :)

avery 7/25/2007 12:05:00 PM  

Seems like your depression isn't linked at all to writing, but to the absence of the most important person in your life. It's only normal to be sad.

I go through stages, like everyone else. But I've never had that legendary writer depression that is somehow attached to our ilk, probably because I have a very nice private life with very supportive people around me. I suppose if my writing ever started getting to me in a negative way, I'd have to put it aside until I managed to gain some sort of perspective.

Liz Wolfe 7/25/2007 02:46:00 PM  

Oh, honey, you're in a bad way.
Listen, it's normal to miss him, it's normal to be sad that he's not there. It's even normal to wallow in it--for a limited time.
Are there any things that you like to do that he doesn't really care for? If so, do them now while he's gone.
Make some plans for when he returns. Even if it's just making a list of his favorite meals that you can prepare, or a list of things for the two of you to do.
Are there any projects around the house that either of you has been meaning to do but just haven't had the time? Do them now. It'll give you more time with him later.
You could also do a "while you were out" kind of thing. Fix up (paint/clean/organize/new curtains/whatever) his office/den/workshop/whatever.
If none of that works, I'd suggest wine and chocolate.

spyscribbler 7/25/2007 03:40:00 PM  

Must try bourbon, Sparky! And Liz, I'm on my second pan of homemade chocolate fudge, but I think I need to pick up some wine!

That's true, Avery. I usually think I'm pretty emotional and prone to hormonally-related irritability, but nothing like this. Despite what DH says, I usually feel pretty happy. At least in comparison to this!

Good ideas, Liz! Maybe I can just finish cleaning the house, LOL. I did paint my bathroom, a pretty green. Now I just want to sit in there and stare at the pretty walls. :-)

Edie 7/25/2007 05:47:00 PM  

Nathasha, chocolate helps, but not so sure about booze. I agree with Liz, who said it's normal to miss your husband. You can tell how much you love him. I was depressed about something once in my life, and I thought about buying over the counter seratonin, which is supposed to make you happier. Then I thought No! I was supposed to feel sad about what I was going through.

Anyway, Liz gave you some great ideas. :)))